Note not sounding

Hello concertina.net!

I have an issue with my f # on the right hand side of my instrument. It doesn't make any sound at all and now works like the button that gives air to the instrument. The g push does work fine.

I'm wondering what I can do? I actually had this instrument tuned and somewhat restored by a maker and now he says he can't do anymore work for two months...quite annoying as I have a show in 6 weeks and the problem came in less than a week of me getting my instrument back. I'm quite tired of dealing with the man and I want to take action into my own hands. 

My concertina has accordion reeds and I've read that it's possible to swap out reeds to replace them. I'm looking for advice on doing this!

Thank you

If the silent note is letting air through freely like an air button, it sounds like the reed might have broken. It's more common for them to get stuck due to a piece of lint, but if that was the case it would feel like it was blocked with no/negligible air flowing through it.

I think you will find you have rights under consumer laws to have the matter resolved, and maybe looking into that side, will remind the repairer whose work perhaps did not resolve issues, in your experience, could speed up resolution. As a business cannot, as far as I know, wipe their hands of responsibility for work done, once the job is done.

Best  try to stay calm and use or consider your basic consumer rights, in laws maybe with  a polite, letter, or reminder to them, will do the trick?

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

On 2/22/2023 at 2:07 AM, Kim William Tyther said:

My concertina has accordion reeds and I've read that it's possible to swap out reeds to replace them. I'm looking for advice on doing this!

If it has accordion reeds, it’s likely an accordion repair person could help. There must be one in Barcelona.

3 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I was once at a performance by a concertina player (whose name I can't remember right now) who had one note fail just before she started. Somehow she got through the performance without it.

I had the opposite problem last night at band practice. A note wouldn’t shut up. I took it apart and found that the leather layer of the pad for that note had come unglued and slipped sideways, preventing the rest of the pad from completely covering the hole. I had nothing to glue it with, so I removed (but kept) that piece and reassembled the instrument without it and it worked fine. Later today I’ll glue it back in place.

Hey! Thank you so much for the replys @SIMON GABRIELOW my friend has called this man and I've argued alot...he says he did alot of work, which is true...it's still unfortunate as it was 210 for the work and it's not really worth...I actually don't know my consumer rights at all, maybe you can advise me more if you think it's worth that route. I really just want the problem resolved as I miss playing Irish music. @Richard Mellish I'm still rehearsing with my concertina and will probably use it for this show..it just means that Irish music in the key of D is gonna have one note missing.. @alex_holden thanks...I kinda suspect that. @David Barnert I'm looking and I haven't found tbh...but I hope the same 

I think it is always best as much as possible to resolve issues with your repair man first. Unless it is something easier to fix yourself.

I am not a solicitor or lawyer on legal advice, but in UK at least I do know that you as consumer has right to expect problems, to be fixed, in fair amount of time, and dispute resolved.  It does not make difference whether business is sole trader individual, or big factory, you should still have consumer rights.

Even beyond guarantee or warranty periods. I only know this myself from past disputes over different consumer issues ( not necessarily musical ).

Try find reference you can quote on consumer rights .. and do not be shy in firmly but politely putting your views forward; but keep calm, as any frustration will only make matters worse ( for your side)!

Consumer rights.. have a look for information.

Have you thought of getting your point forward with humour also? Send repair man an amusing song tune perhaps where a note is missing., But keep it fun; don't do any name calling, it may just prick his conscience a little.

Just my own advice, but I cannot say more than that, other than hope you sort it out soon.