ABC Transcription Tools

Michael Eskin

6 hours ago, eskin said:

No, I think its because Ghostscript was built before the whole UTF-8/Unicode/Emoji thing really took off, etc...

I never thought about the time-line - that would do it! Thanks!

Edited by lachenal74693

• 2 weeks later...

New "Download as .WAV" Experimental Feature!

You can now download the audio of your ABC tunes as a .wav file.

Since this is an experimental feature, it is disabled by default.

To enable the feature, click the Settings button and you'll find a new option called "Allow .wav download from the Player (experimental)".

If you check that option, when you play any tune, you will see a new button at the bottom of the player. Click this button to save the audio of your tune as a .wav audio file.

This is an experimental feature. It may not always work or produce the perfect result, but so far it's doing pretty well in testing.

Demo video:

Try my free ABC Transcription Tools:

http://michaeleskin.com/abc

Detailed user guide:

http://michaeleskin.com/abctools/userguide.html

Edited by eskin
  • Like 1

More demos of the new experimental .wav export feature from the ABC Player in the tool, all using my custom instrument sound libraries.

In the demo video, I demonstrate loading several ABC files into the tool and playing them using the ABC Player.

For each one, I export the audio as a .wav file and then play the .wav file for comparison.

Demo video:

About the new "Download as .WAV" feature:

You can now download the audio of your ABC tunes as a .wav file.

Since this is an experimental feature, it is disabled by default.

To enable the feature, click the Settings button and you'll find a new option called "Allow .wav download from the Player (experimental)".

If you check that option, when you play any tune, you will see a new button at the bottom of the player. Click this button to save the audio of your tune as a .wav audio file.

This is an experimental feature. It may not always work or produce the perfect result, but so far it's doing pretty well in testing.

Try my free ABC Transcription Tools:

Detailed user guide:

Edited by eskin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

I am sorry to read this as I do not use Facebook.

May I suggest that you use the abcusers group which is dedicated just to the abc notation and is not owned by Mark Zuckerberg.

To be honest, I have found that these general discussion groups on ABC notation have not been very friendly to my posts.

My tool really isn't targeted as a "does all things for all users" tool, my focus is really for players and teachers of traditional Irish music. 

On the general groups I get people trying to use my tool for things it really isn't designed for or isn't well supported by abcjs (Why can't I specify fingering for my polyphonic classical guitar arrangement? Why aren't my complex very specific typesetting options being respected?, etc.). 

I really don't enjoy having to explain to those people about how and why they should use a different tool. 

My friends and most of the people I play with in sessions and in the traditional Irish music scene are on Facebook. That's where I spend a lot of time so that's where I'm going to consolidate my posts.

If you’re not on Facebook and want to keep up with the latest features, you will find the tool at:

The detailed User Guide is at:

The YouTube playlist with all my demo and tutorial videos is at:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZvjgS80ixQuX2-gMv25U3ECXiceGfTdr

I’ll be updating all of these resources as the tool continues to evolve. 

Edited by eskin

• 2 weeks later...
Just dropping by to update y'all now and then on new features added in the last month to my ABC Transcription Tools:

In the player:
Save as .WAV
Save MIDI

MusicXML import

New ABC Rendering Fonts dialog

Tablature injection for Chinese Dizi bamboo flute in various common keys

Various bug fixes for "play after paste" and other minor issues.

Improved the user guide navigation and formatting
Edited by eskin
  • Like 1

Hi Michael, your tool kicks rear big time. Have to find a way to open your tip jar (I do not do Paypal, if you can send me account info outside of pp per pm, that would be super).

A question about the incipits (aka crib sheets): What we generally need is the first few bars of the A and B (and C,D,... if applicable) parts, respectively, not only the beginning of the tune. I understand that it would require quite a bit of AI to deduct that correctly from the score, so would it be possible to splice some extra character to the abc to mark the beginning of an incipitable section (I would not mind adding those myself)?

Thanks so much, keep doing the great work!

With all the new features I’ve been adding to the Player while in COVID isolation, I figured it was about time to put together a demo video:

Shows:

Scrolling notation area
.WAV export
.MP3 export
MIDI export
How to change the bitrate for the .MP3 export
How to switch to large player controls.

Demo video:
https://youtu.be/5lYtoxWnzFQ

Edited by eskin

Well, this went from sublime to insane quickly.  🙂

You can now export all of your ABC tunes to individual .MP3 files at once by going to the "Advanced Controls" dialog and clicking "Save all Tunes as .MP3".

The .MP3 files created will be exactly as if you had done the process manually and will respect any MIDI instruments, either in the ABC or default overrides you setup in the tool Settings dialog.

It's a pretty complex operation, but in testing I've been able to do tunebook conversions of over 100 tunes with no issues. 

I've tested it on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari on my Mac.

Please let me know if you run into any issues.

On some browsers, like Chrome, the browser may ask you if it's OK for the tool to download multiple files.  Click "Allow". If you accidentally tell it not to allow the downloads, if you reload the page and run the batch .MP3 conversion again, you'll get another chance.

Have fun and let me know how it works for you!

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

Demo Video:

One of the things that annoys me about most ABC software is how stupidly difficult it is to mute specific voices when playing tunes, particularly melody voices.

For bass and chords, you could stick in %%MIDI bassvol and %%MIDI chordvol annotation, but it always seems like a lot of effort.

I've fixed all of that nonsense.

In my ABC tool, I have many custom MIDI instruments based on my iOS sound libraries.

Well today I added:

136 - Silence

Now, if you want to silence any voice in the player, just specify:

%%MIDI program 136

for that voice, or if you want to silence the bass/chords:

%%MIDI chordprog 136

Here's a demo video:

Of course, you can save the audio with the silenced voices as .WAV or .MP3 from the player.

This allows for the simple generation of backing tracks or "Music Minus One" style play-along tracks.

Have fun!

FYI, here's the full list of my custom instruments:

These replace the default abcjs soundfonts:
15 Dulcimer
21 Accordion
73 Flute
78 Whistle

And these are custom programs that live above #128:

129 Uilleann pipes
130 Scottish Smallpipes (D)
131 Scottish Smallpipes (A)
132 Swedish Säckpipa
133 Concertina
134 Melodica
135 Cajun Accordion

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, eskin said:

...I've fixed all of that nonsense.

In my ABC tool, I have many custom MIDI instruments based on my iOS sound libraries.

Well today I added:

136 - Silence...

Like all really good ideas, you end up wondering "now why the hell didn't I think of that"

Edited by lachenal74693

In a later post, Michael has provided a clarification about the use of MIDI numbers above 128.  I want to point out that the problem arises from the MIDI spec and the definition of the GM instument list which handcuffs any implementor to use only the preferred GM instruments.  Needless to say, this list does not include many traditional instruments.

By way of an explanation of the problem for the technically inclined, I will leave some of my orginal text here, most folks should probably skip ahead to Michael's post.

Warning!  Geekiness ahead...

The MIDI specs say that any message byte with the top bit set is a status byte that is basically used to specify a command for the following data byte(s) - see: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmsip/readings/MIDI tutorial for programmers.html, in particular:

The MIDI message used to specify the instrument is called a "program change" message. It has one STATUS byte and one DATA byte :

• Status byte : 1100 CCCC
  • Data byte 1 : 0XXX XXXX

where CCCC is the MIDI channel (0 to 15) and XXXXXXX is the instrument number from 0 to 127. Similarly to MIDI channels, you will often see that the instrument numbers in synthesizers and in GM lists, are numbered from 1 to 128 so you also need to add or subtract 1 for the conversion.

For instance, the trumpet instrument has number 57 in the GM list, so in the above MIDI message you must set XXXXXXX = 56 to get the correct instrument in the target synthesizer.

The notes sent to the synthesizer after that message will be played with a trumpet sound.

This means that a MIDI instrument number cannot be specified as more than 127 (for programmers who count from 0) or 128 if you are a musician who counts from 1.

Edited by Don Taylor