Who's taken over from The Button Box?

Keshlam

8 hours ago, Keshlam said:

Good to know that while the storefront is closed, Bob is still doing repairs. I'll contact him as soon as I can get my act together.

Also thanks for the "field expedient" solutions. Definitely something to keep in mind. May also be useful for an experimental build I'm hoping to get to.

Not to take this too far off topic..  I have seen a few spring failures as of late. I do have some spring sourced from BB a while back.

And while they DO work. I have found that the new vs old springs definitely have a different response.

I have been working on a combo of home made (definite ghetto) jig and the right wire with the hope of being able to make my own and completely replace all spings to get a more uniform and consistent feel.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:18 PM, seanc said:

It would make a lot of sense if Bob took in instruments refurbed them and  traded or flipped them for a profit on his own.

I was really hoping that was what was happening.

But, Sounds like he's not there yet. Hopefully, he will be someday soon!

Speaking from personal experience, you can only do one or the other - if he was buying instruments and fixing them up to sell, he wouldn't have time to do your repairs...

On 2/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

Speaking from personal experience, you can only do one or the other - if he was buying instruments and fixing them up to sell, he wouldn't have time to do your repairs...

I presume that was how he got into the storefront in the first place -- fixing instruments, then selling them on commission for folks he'd done repairs for or fixing up ones he had found cheap for sale, then having all of us coming back to him or referring friends to him for both...

I got a friend's son hooked on concertina; he's been a lot more focused than I, and can play rings around me. I've periodically hand him my instrument so he can remind it, and me, of what it's capable of. He's mostly playing Irish material (not very surprisingly); since I got hooked on it to accompany voice, my own repertoire even when I'm in practice is kindly described as "eclectic" and relatively simple arrangements.

Which reminds me, I never did learn to play Krivo Sadovsko Horo. I was told that outside of it being a lot of notes in rapid succession and in 13/16 time, it was quite playable on Anglo...

On 2/17/2023 at 4:50 PM, seanc said:

And while they DO work. I have found that the new vs old springs definitely have a different response.

I still have some springs that Steve Dickinson made for me (at least 40 years ago, when he did such things).  Three different stiffness grades.

Just because springs look the same doesn't mean they will perform the same, and adjustments will usually need to be made -- in shape, material, or even placement in the instrument -- if you want to match the performance of a previous one.