Who's taken over from The Button Box?

Keshlam

Many years ago,  bought a fully reconditioned Anglo concertina from The Button Box. I've always been within day-trippable distance of the store since then, so I hadn't had much reason to shop elsewhere.

Unfortunately they closed down in 2021. 

And I just had a spring fail. (With, of course, an informal performance scheduled for this weekend. Murphy was an optimist.)

So who *are* the most reputable concertina repair shops these days? I'm currently in the Greater Boston area, but Im willing to consider traveling.

And, while I'm asking: Should I take this as a warning that it's worth doing a full overhaul again? If E fails, C and G are presumably not too far behind, and the only maintenance in the past decade has been my occasionally recentering a reed or removing dust.

Tnx in advance!

Bob Snope is continuing the repair service at his home in Amherst Ma..  I've just recently been out for a couple of wonderfully executed and complex projects.  He keeps a list of instruments for sale by clients as well as repair service.  You can find his listing on google.

I know it's frowned upon but you can easily make a temporary replacement spring from a safety pin using two sets of needle nose pliers.

Edited by wunks
  • Like 1

Yes.

Bob is the man.

I don't know if anything has changed. But the past couple of times I dropped off and picked up at his house. When they were open, I could hardly ever get to their store during their work hours. 

I would suggest, having learned this the hard way.. have Bob do the work. But also, get a bunch of extra springs. And once the priority is over, Learn how to replace a spring yourself. If I can do it, anybody can.

And if you get completely stuck... and have no other options, ping me and maybe I can help. I have a bunch of springs.

21 hours ago, Paul_Hardy said:

3 hours ago, wunks said:

You can find his listing on google.

I just did a search and did not find anything but a link to BB..

Do you have a link? Is there a listing of instruments for sale?

If you are having problems with 'torsion springs' in concertina..I have recently had to replace one myself, and found it difficult to find them..

So, I found a tin of old piano wire, and a block of solid wood into which I mailed a panel pin of the size spring would go round, in the block, ( only one nail used)..then cut a length of fine piano wire and wound it around the one pin, until it made a tiny coil. Eventually, bent the hooked part, with fine tweezers, snipped excess wire, and bent to correct angle, and there you are! What a marvel it is.. Yes it works! Primitive method; only block of wood, nail, and fine plyers!

I don't know what kind your own concertina is, but I have found simple ways to do my own adjustments,also through necessity.

One day, I shall put a picture of my primitive torsion spring maker on here, and all can have a good laugh at it.. but it works!🌝🌝

If you google the Button Box Repair Shop you should see two listings.  The first yields a contact form.  The second gives Bob's Phone #.  I know he has a list as I have one for sale with him and one wanted.  It is an informal service for clients as far as I know, no advertisements.

Edited by wunks

4 minutes ago, wunks said:

If you google the Button Box Repair Shop you should see two listings.  The first yields a contact form.  The second gives Bob's Phone #.  I know he has a list as I have one for sale with him and one wanted.  It is an informal service for clients as far as I know, no advertisements.

Ok.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanc said:

I was thinking there might  be a listing of available for sale. That link is just to schedule a repair.

The Button Box has made it very clear that they are out of the retail business. It’s only a repair shop now.

Like anyone who deals professionally with many concertina players, Bob undoubtedly knows of a lot of instruments for sale, but I wouldn’t expect to see them listed on the BB’s web site.

7 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

The Button Box has made it very clear that they are out of the retail business. It’s only a repair shop now.

Like anyone who deals professionally with many concertina players, Bob undoubtedly knows of a lot of instruments for sale, but I wouldn’t expect to see them listed on the BB’s web site.

6 hours ago, wunks said:

Bob Snope is continuing the repair service at his home in Amherst Ma.. 

He keeps a list of instruments for sale by clients as well as repair service. 

Agreed. BB is gone.  I have used Bob Post BB to do some repairs.

My reading of Wunks message was that Bob was independently buying/selling/trading/ brokering tansactions and had a list of available instruments.

Edited by seanc

8 minutes ago, seanc said:

My reading of Wunks message was that Bob was independently buying/selling/trading/ brokering tansactions and had a list of available instruments.

Exactly. Mine, too (I have no direct knowledge of that side of Bob’s enterprise). That’s why I wouldn’t expect to see any mention of it on the BB’s site.

1 minute ago, David Barnert said:

Exactly. Mine, too (I have no direct knowledge of that side of Bob’s enterprise). That’s why I wouldn’t expect to see any mention of it on the BB’s site.

I just got a message back from Bob.

My reading of his reply is that he is NOT actively doing any independent  buying/ selling. And he is ONLY doing repairs.

If he Knows a guy that is looking for something. Then he may be able to put people in touch with each other. But, as far as I can tell that would be the extent of it.

(it is a shame. Losing BB is a huge blow to the NE US. And Bob would be uniquely qualified to take trades in, refurb and flip. and make some extra money)

1 minute ago, seanc said:

I just got a message back from Bob.

My reading of his reply is that he is NOT actively doing any independent  buying/ selling. And he is ONLY doing repairs.

If he Knows a guy that is looking for something. Then he may be able to put people in touch with each other. But, as far as I can tell that would be the extent of it.

(it is a shame. Losing BB is a huge blow to the NE US. And Bob would be uniquely qualified to take trades in, refurb and flip. and make some extra money)

Doesn’t surprise me. And I agree about losing the BB. I had long talks with Doug as the process was unfolding. He tried very hard to find a buyer to keep it going, but it just wasn’t to be.

1 hour ago, seanc said:

That's my understanding as well.  perhaps I should have been clearer

1 minute ago, wunks said:

That's my understanding as well.  perhaps I should have been clearer

It would make a lot of sense if Bob took in instruments refurbed them and  traded or flipped them for a profit on his own.

I was really hoping that was what was happening.

But, Sounds like he's not there yet. Hopfully, he will be someday soon!

Good to know that while the storefront is closed, Bob is still doing repairs. I'll contact him as soon as I can get my act together.

Also thanks for the "field expedient" solutions. Definitely something to keep in mind. May also be useful for an experimental build I'm hoping to get to.