Three English Lachenals need homes

pavel

I am helping a friend to find homes for three English concertinas that belonged to her departed husband.  I am pretty conversant with Anglos but not this oh-so-buttony breed, so I am seeking assistance in helping her to sell them at reasonable prices, specifically to folks who will play them--or at least. to have their appraisals updated..  They are a 45-key Lachenal, a 56-key Edeophone Lachenal and a 56-key Lachenal made specially for a fellow named Harry Boyd in 1910.  They all have been kept in excellent condition. I have a file of photos I can provide, along with 1990-ish appraisals by Joel Cowan (I know, I know). 

Let me know if you have any interest.

Thanks,

Paul

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 10.51.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 10.51.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 10.51.52 AM.png

Not yet. Hoping to get the appraisals updated.  And hoping someone on this site can point me to a knowledgable appraiser.  I'll know a lot more in a couple of weeks; I'm in L.A. now and the boxes are in Seattle, to which I'll be returning at the end of the month.  

On 2/16/2023 at 4:50 PM, Rikki said:

I would say that the Boyd and the Edeophone are tenor-trebles based on the location of the lower buttons relative to the thumb strap.  

I tend to agree (and the the size of the thump straps in proportion to the entire instrument would support that too) - which would make the Boyd (known as a commissioning retailer in Newcastle) a very rare one!

Sorry for the radio silence.  I'm traveling at the moment and won't be back in town Seattle) where the boxes are for a couple of weeks.  Indeed I've yet to lay eyes on them, but am making arrangements to do so, and I'll be offering lots more info soon.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: I have taken exterior and interior photos of the instruments.  I was misinformed by the former owner's wife about the models; she was relying on some paperwork she found that appears to relate to bunch of other instruments as well as these.  One is indeed the Lachenal 56-key Edeophone, 7" across, as someone asked above, circa 1907, appraised by Joel Cowan in 1990 at $2,100.  My departed friend seems to have purchased it from Tony Bingham in London in 1985.   There his another Lachenal, also 56 keys., circa 1910, made for one Harry Boyd as stated above, and appraised by Mr. Cowan in 1990 also at $2,100.  . The 45 key, wooden-end box appears to be a low-end hybrid; I can't find any info about it. I have a lot of pics I'd be happy to send via email.  

Looking to sell as a lot or individually.  His widow asked me to be sure they go to players vs. resellers.  It is my understanding that the proceeds will be donated to a local Native American tribal organization.

I have videos of all three if anyone wants them.  I'm not a player so I just attempted to demonstrate that the buttons work and the bellows are tight. I'm going to say extended treble for the Edeophone.  Those high notes are pretty darned high!  

Edited by pavel

Dispalying even more ignorance of the English system here; again my apologies...but I have confirmed that both Lachenals  go from C3 (131 Hz) to C7 (2093 Hz)

Edited by pavel
misspelling