Troubadour Question

7 minutes ago, seanc said:

if a person can live with completely missing a note. Or, can adjust everything to play only in one key. I suppose a 37 is great.  but, it would drive me absolutely insane..

When I look at and consider this It all i can think of is  the Steven Wright "I bought an irregular phone"  joke..

"I saw a close friend of mine the other day... He said, "Steven, why haven't you called me?" I said, "I can't call everyone I want. My new phone has no five on it." He said, "How long have you had it?" I said, "I don't know . . . My calendar has no sevens on it."

Well, Elise has drove me to enough insanity to spend easily more than 1000 hrs spread onto nearly a decade to learn how to, and build a box by myself :D The byproduct of it is that, well, I now know how to build concertinas, so I think I thanks to Wim Wakker are in order for making such an annoying box :D

19 minutes ago, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

Well, Elise has drove me to enough insanity to spend easily more than 1000 hrs spread onto nearly a decade to learn how to, and build a box by myself :D The byproduct of it is that, well, I now know how to build concertinas, so I think I thanks to Wim Wakker are in order for making such an annoying box :D

All kidding aside.. i think that the CC entry line is really fantastic. They are good playing boxes at very low prices. And they give a lot of people the opportunity to delve into the concertina world. that they offer a duet at all is amazing.  Just really wish they had been able to make it 42 buttons. As, at least for me, would be a must have and a great entry into hayden.

2 hours ago, SmougyG said:

I have wondered about trying other systems and was even curious if I can get the results I'm looking for out of an anglo, but I do feel very limiting compared to a duet. Cranes are an interesting alternative. Do they sit around the 6 1/4 flat to flat range?

In spite of the conventional mythologies and lack of even a mention in many discussions of this sort, The Jeffries duet is  alive and thriving.  It is a marvelously versatile instrument with plenty of range in a 50 (or even 44) button 6 1/4" box.  It's derived from the Anglo and has few or none of the disadvantages mentioned above.  The fingerings are simple and the "core" key is varied.  I've just had one of mine "fettled" from C old pitch to D with fantastic results.  I believe any maker tooled up for Anglos with a will could make you one.....😊

The OP asked about upgrading from an Elise to a more capable Hayden, not switching from an Elise to a Crane, Maccann or a Jeffries.

FWIW.  I have (twice!) bought Cranes when wanting to upgrade to a concertina reeded instrument.  It is probably just me, but it messed up my mind for playing either instrument!  I decided that I had to stick to one or the other and I strongly preferred the Hayden layout to the Crane layout even though I preferred the sound of the New Model Crane. 

So, I have a nice 55B Lachenal New Model Crane that I really must get around to tidying up ready for selling.

16 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

The OP asked about upgrading from an Elise to a more capable Hayden, not switching from an Elise to a Crane, Maccann or a Jeffries.

3 hours ago, SmougyG said:

I have wondered about trying other systems and was even curious if I can get the results I'm looking for out of an anglo, but I do feel very limiting compared to a duet. Cranes are an interesting alternative. Do they sit around the 6 1/4 flat to flat range?

😉

• Like 1

The Elise drove me insane with frustration. The Troubadour drives me insane with pleasure and satisfaction. It’s so small and it sounds so great.  I would never expect to play in keys too far from C G F D on a Hayden instrument. That’s not why I got it. Plus you can usually play partial chords in about any key if you need to. It takes creativity. That’s part of the fun. I hardly ever really play full-on chords on the left hand anyway! Less is more, to me.

Edited by Corbin Collins
Added more
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Corbin Collins said:

The Elise drove me insane with frustration. The Troubadour drives me insane with pleasure and satisfaction. It’s so small and it sounds so great.  I would never expect to play in keys too far from C G F D on a Hayden instrument. That’s not why I got it. Plus you can usually play partial chords in about any key if you need to. It takes creativity. That’s part of the fun. I hardly ever really play full-on chords on the left hand anyway! Less is more, to me.

You seem like the guy to talk to then on the matter of the Troubadour. Did you notice any difference in the action or the quality when comparing it to playing an Elise? Did you go for the standard bellows or the upgrade?

15 hours ago, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

I’m currently in the process of designing a small, about Troubadour sized, square 3D printed, 46-50b box with a price tag likely between a Stagi and Troubadour.

Will it have hand straps or your signature “antlers” arrangement?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 7:28 AM, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

If everything works out, it will have a chpice of handling systems.

How is that prototype working out? Any updates ?

15 hours ago, SmougyG said:

How is that prototype working out? Any updates ?

Waiting for the reeds to arrive I started renovating my workshop and it prooved more labourous than I thought (115 years old building is full of surprises). The concept phase is done however, I just can’t start printing it for another month or so. But while my schedule is delayed, my goal stands firm. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

Waiting for the reeds to arrive I started renovating my workshop and it prooved more labourous than I thought (115 years old building is full of surprises). The concept phase is done however, I just can’t start printing it for another month or so. But while my schedule is delayed, my goal stands firm. 

That is exciting to read. Thank you for sharing.