Sutherland concertina

Hi just messaging for some advice that you might possibly be able to help with im looking to start learning the concertina and have been offered a ''sutherland'' make one for a reasonable price i think, but i dont know enough about them and cant find much about a ''sutherland'' make, hoping you can cast some knowledge or steer me in the right direction possibly. thanks

I'm tempted to speculat that might be one of many badge names for instruments made in China - someone here may know better and can correct me. The quality of those factory instruments varies a lot and you can likely do better. Where are you located? Someone nearby may be able to help you choose an instrument or show you some examples.

Ken

From their website  http://www.sutherlandtrading.com  we can read:

"Sutherland Trading can trace back its origins as one of the UK’s leading musical instrument distributors as far as the 1930s, thanks to a long standing relationship with Hohner, a brand that is globally renowned for the manufacture of harmonicas and accordions. 

In the late 1940s, M Hohner Ltd was established in the UK to become the exclusive importer and distributor of Hohner musical instruments. It traded from a number of locations in the London area for almost four decades before relocating to the site that Sutherland Trading now occupies at Bedwas, near Caerphilly, in 1987.

Sutherland Trading, an independent company, was born out of M Hohner Ltd in 2001 and, whilst continuing to distribute Hohner, now represents a number of key product lines that have become synonymous with quality and value for money within the music industry."

I think I can help a little bit here because years ago when I sent for my (Hohner branded) concertina.. it took a while, until they found just one in stock. later I found the address of M.Hohner company in UK. ( at that time ) was marked as being via Sutherland Trading, which was based in Bed was, Wales.I think they are still trading .

That is assuming it is same company on your proposed concertina.

My enquiry was years ago, so cannot say what they are up to now.

4 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

I'm tempted to speculat that might be one of many badge names for instruments made in China - someone here may know better and can correct me. The quality of those factory instruments varies a lot and you can likely do better. Where are you located? Someone nearby may be able to help you choose an instrument or show you some examples.

Ken

44 minutes ago, DaveRo said:

If you google 'drudwen concertina' you'll find that this 48key EC for sale, often with the same sutherland label attached.

The ebay one is here.  I would guess that if it says Made in Italy somewhere on the concertina, then it's almost certainly a rebadged Bastari/Stagi.  If it doesn't say that, it's probably one of the Chinese instruments mentioned by Ken.  In either case, not a great concertina, but might be worth considering for a starter instrument if the price is low enough.