Alan Day's Croissants and Coffee Waltz

Steve Schulteis

With World Concertina Day just around the corner, here's something for you all to try your hand at: the Croissants and Coffee Waltz by Alan Day. This is a great tune that I think deserves more attention. I've included Coover tabs for C/G anglo as well as full standard notation so that players of other systems aren't left out. As always, corrections are welcome.

Feel free to add your recordings of the tune to this thread. I'll be posting my own video on the 6th. Until then, here's Alan's recording. He has some variations that aren't captured in my notation, so be sure to listen the whole way through!

Croissants and Coffee Waltz (Tab).pdf Croissants and Coffee Waltz.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great plan!

Here is an ABC version of your Steve's scores for myself and others who prefer this format.

I took the liberty to change a bit in the notation of the first and second repeats, for readability.

X:1
T:Croissants and Coffee Waltz
C:Alan Day

Z: Leonard van der Laan 30/01/2023
N:(based on the scores by Steve Schulteis,

N:published on concertina.net 29/01/2023)
M:3/4
L:1/4
R:Waltz
K:Cmaj
E|: EAf |"C" e3 |"G/B" d>ed |"Am" c2E | EAd |"Dm" B3 |"F" f>ed |"G" B2E | 
EAd |"Dm" B3- |"G" B3- | Bdd- | deG |"C" cee |"G"(3d/e/d/cB |1"C" c2 E:|2"C" c2c | 
|:"C" cde |"F" f3 | fga | "G"d2d | def |"C" g>eg |"G/B" ede |"Am" c3 | 
cde |"F" f3 | d2c |"G" BcB | GAB |1"C" c3- |"G" d3 |"C" ege :|2"C" cee |"G"(3d/e/d/cB |"C" c2|] 

And now I'm off to play the tune, and to find a way to record it in time....

Edited by Leonard
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, Steve Schulteis said:

Here it is on my G/D. Don't tell my wife I left that picture crooked in the background. 😅

I love the tune, but I am intrigued, bar 7, both you and Alan seem to be able to hold 1a and 5 while playing the E on 10. I have a Wheatstone type button spacing and skinny buttons, and am finding that almost impossible, I have to release button 5 to be able to get to button 10. Is it easier on the more angled Jeffries style button layout?

16 minutes ago, Martin Essery said:

I love the tune, but I am intrigued, bar 7, both you and Alan seem to be able to hold 1a and 5 while playing the E on 10. I have a Wheatstone type button spacing and skinny buttons, and am finding that almost impossible, I have to release button 5 to be able to get to button 10. Is it easier on the more angled Jeffries style button layout?

I'm playing on an Edgley professional model with the Wheatstone layout and 1/4" buttons. I don't think I'm doing anything clever - index finger on button 5 and middle finger on button 10.

I have noticed that some fingering patterns I find easy on one instrument are harder on another. Besides button size and placement, hand rest position and height probably factor in.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:04 AM, Steve Schulteis said:

I'm playing on an Edgley professional model with the Wheatstone layout and 1/4" buttons. I don't think I'm doing anything clever - index finger on button 5 and middle finger on button 10.

I have noticed that some fingering patterns I find easy on one instrument are harder on another. Besides button size and placement, hand rest position and height probably factor in.

Thank you ❤️ Maybe it is the button size then, mine are those skinny ones, barely 5/32, 4mm, so, yours being 1/4, between the two buttons give you a 3/16th advantage. I find with index finger on the very outside of button 5 that the middle finger can just graze the inside of button 10. A useful skill I will have to practice 😄

Edited by Martin Essery
Should have said middle finger, not ring finger - edited.
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:34 AM, Martin Essery said:

Thank you ❤️ Maybe it is the button size then, mine are those skinny ones, barely 5/32, 4mm, so, yours being 1/4, between the two buttons give you a 3/16th advantage. I find with index finger on the very outside of button 5 that the middle finger can just graze the inside of button 10. A useful skill I will have to practice 😄

Have just realised I can solve my problem by playing the A4 on button 8 instead of 5! Happy now 🙂

• Like 1