Using Blaydon Races to Teach Chords and Droning

Randy Stein

Teaching someone to play chords (this includes double stops) and droning on the EC can be overwhelming for some. One way to approach this is to take a fun simple tune, like Blaydon Races, and first learn to play just the melody line. Then slowly add in the double stops, then 3 note chords, and finally the droning. 

For those who read music I've attached both versions. This is a great session tune and once one plays it with confidence you can begin to add your own touches as well. 

Blaydon races.pdf BLAYDON Races with chords.pdf

• Like 1

I agree with this. Learn a new technique with a simple tune first. I play anglo, so there is the complication that you may need to alter the buttons & Push/pull to get the chords you're after, so it's not quite as simple as learning the melody in isolation, but the principle is still the same.

12 hours ago, Randy Stein said:

Teaching someone to play chords (this includes double stops) and droning on the EC can be overwhelming for some. One way to approach this is to take a fun simple tune, like Blaydon Races, and first learn to play just the melody line. Then slowly add in the double stops, then 3 note chords, and finally the droning. 

For those who read music I've attached both versions. This is a great session tune and once one plays it with confidence you can begin to add your own touches as well. 

Blaydon races.pdf 13.67 kB · 9 downloads BLAYDON Races with chords.pdf 35.91 kB · 13 downloads

It's a fine tune for experimenting with arrangements.  Here's a recording I did recently - on Anglo, forgive me.

• Like 6

Definitely, learn new techniques that feel complicated by applying them to tunes that feel simple.  What feels complicated or simple will vary throughout your playing career.  Point is, if you can play the melody confidently, it releases brain processing power to concentrate on the accompaniment.

For a new player, the Bledington Morris dance tune, "Getting Upstairs:, a generic "When the Saints", a generic version f "British Grenadier" and even very simple melodies like Camptown Races, or Oh Susannah.  Maybe Red River Valley.

Once you can do the accompaniment techniques on simple tunes, it is a small step to apply the same techniques to more complex tunes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wunks said:

Forgiven.  Perhaps you remember our canal side jam in Canajoharie  a couple of years ago.  I'm now at that point of figuring out what NOT to play on those two Jeff duets!

Indeed I do remember that canal side jam, with a great deal of pleasure. And we're planning to do the Erie Canal ride again this year - and maybe we can do it again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wunks said:

Forgiven.  Perhaps you remember our canal side jam in Canajoharie  a couple of years ago.  I'm now at that point of figuring out what NOT to play on those two Jeff duets!

2 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

Indeed I do remember that canal side jam, with a great deal of pleasure. And we're planning to do the Erie Canal ride again this year - and maybe we can do it again!

Let me know when. Canajoharie is just 5 exits down the thruway from Albany.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Let me know when. Canajoharie is just 5 exits down the thruway from Albany.

Of course!  Our little session in Canajoharie was just a day before I met you at that funky restaurant near your home and "entertained" the diners.  

On 1/26/2023 at 7:06 AM, Randy Stein said:

Teaching someone to play chords (this includes double stops) and droning on the EC can be overwhelming for some.

That describes me! The learning part, not the teaching part!

Thanks for this, Randy. I'll give it a try! And thanks, others, for the tune suggestions.

Edited by Mike Franch