You probably will not opt to rush and buy this English Concertina on Ebay, but just in case....

robert stewart

looks like a basic Wheatstone, with spruce baffles and only four fold bellows. It shows none of the hallmark features of a middle or upper grade model. It looks as it it is relatively early. This 'tina will probably have brass reeds, you could potentially pick one up in the UK for less than £600.00.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, robert stewart said:

Out of curiosity I messaged the seller, and he responded that he saw similar concertinas for sale online for between $4,000 and $7,000 (yes that is thousands). I wonder on what planet?

RJ

Or what he thought he meant by “similar.”

On 1/22/2023 at 9:00 PM, d.elliott said:

looks like a basic Wheatstone, with spruce baffles and only four fold bellows. It shows none of the hallmark features of a middle or upper grade model. It looks as it it is relatively early.  

The fretwork reveals that it's one of the Wheatstone concertinas made for the firm by Louis Lachenal, starting in 1848, so there's the sellers date estimate gone out the window already.

It's very similar to #1563 in my collection, discussed in my paper Some Notes on Lachenal Concertina Production and Serial Numbers.

As for the price... 🤣