Improving the pinkie rest -

helmbelly

I just took delivery of my first Concertina yesterday - got a $95 gem, very pretty sound and seems unused. I'm new to the instrument and found the metal pinkie rest a little 'sub optimal'.

It's hard edged while it serves as a rest it is pretty restrictive. First thought is to make something softer from a heavy leather. Before going ahead I wanted to ask if this is something thats already been discussed or even realized and available for $10 somewhere 😉

I would just remove the 2 screws make a thin brass or delrin adaptor that screws back into the same sockets and creates a singe large pivot hole in the center that I can attach a leather ring to, like the upper ring for the thumb. Making it oversized would allow the finger to slip in unrestricted so it serves the present job but is much softer and will pivot to support everyones odd styles and reaching some of those close buttons that really require a scramble to get to fast 

I'm a small tool machinist, mostly with prototyping camera accessories so I'm tooled up to work in this scale space. any thoughts before I dig in? I just bought a lovely hide of 10 gauge veggie tanned cowhide that will answer splendidly. 

Caleb New Orleans 

The better quality rests have a rolled edge that helps you grip it. Occasionally they are lined with thin leather. I believe Wheatstone originally intended that you would put both third and fourth fingers on the rest, and only push buttons with the first two. Most players today grip the rest with their pinky and play with three fingers, while some advanced players ignore or remove the rests and use all four fingers. Henrik Müller's modifications take that a few steps further and replace both thumb straps and finger rests with a diagonal hand rest and hand strap.

• Like 1

Alex,  Hmm, At first reading I thought you meant a rolled edge outward to lessen the bite into the finger but now I'm starting to see a rolled edge inward so the tip of finger could gain some purchase to grip the rest and latch ahold? I could make an edge with a couple 1.6mm screws fastening a brass cleat with a relieved edge. This is blowing my mind! 

Great suggestion! thank you kind sir tho I'm not sure I understand it, it's leading somewhere good! 😉

I think what's stuck in my head is a vague visual memory of a sailors leather lashing for a pair of pulleys - allowing them to change angles to get a 'fairlead', but held firmly. I def need to spend the next week playing the EC before trying to change it. 😉

Cheers 

Wunks,

A lovers wheel spinner - wow I had to google that! 

Based on whatever screwball image I took away from a suicide knob lovers wheel (!) I took two rolls of athletic tape 1.5" diameter, 1" high and just put them under my palms and pushed buttons. It's nice. And I never thunk I would pine for a suicide knob lovers wheel ! 

1 hour ago, helmbelly said:

Wunks,

A lovers wheel spinner - wow I had to google that! 

Based on whatever screwball image I took away from a suicide knob lovers wheel (!) I took two rolls of athletic tape 1.5" diameter, 1" high and just put them under my palms and pushed buttons. It's nice. And I never thunk I would pine for a suicide knob lovers wheel ! 

A required accessory for your '57 Chebby.  

• Like 1

Alex, Ha! I would not have thought of doing it that way, so brilliant. So it is the rounded down method for supplying lift. And it being wire offers a better edge to grasp. Better than a relieved rail I'd guess. 

Soldering or maybe brazing on that scale is a skill I don't yet have. I bought a special butane "chef's torch" for that kind of thing- I'll have to visit the googledom to get a method and the right wire.

Thanks for those photos- So helpful 

Edited by helmbelly

57 Chebby, now I got you! ha ok. It's actually a good idea - I'm either going to turn this new EC I got into Frankentina or  buy a parts EC cheap. Maybe for ergonomic stuff just make a mock up out of my wood bin and glue some dowel ends on for buttons. I'll post a photo for laughs 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been playing an English 48 for years and have come to the conclusion that these things are intentionally made to be unplayable. Between the the thumb strap, the pinkie rest, the wrist straps ( to prevent yet another bout of tendinitis,) and the missing support for the heal of both hands its like trying to play the piano with both hands strapped down to the keyboard. 

Make me wanna holler......throw up both my hands.