Lining a concertina case

You should be able to use it..

A lot depends on the size of the case and clearances you have.

But, if it were me, I would opt for closed cell foam. it is easy to cut, to a more fitted shape.  stack it up in layers and more thickness on top and bottom.  More protection in terms a shock, and less particles to get inside of everything. 

I would recommend velvet rather than felt. I have found that felt sheds fibres and will "pill" more readily than woven fabrics. Polyester velvet is pretty commonly available online if not at a local fabric store.

I would avoid felt,  with use it will start to shed fibres as mentioned in a previous post. The loose fibres can easily end up inside the instrument where they can get stuck in a reed gaps silencing the reeds.

some types of foam also deteriorate in a way that sheds particles which can have the same effect.

velvet or soft leather would be my choice.

I have used velvet fabric laminated to 1/8" neoprene peel-and-stick sheets.  The velvet is all synthetic - probably polyester.  I have been using spray-glue to hold folded-over edges and then hot glue to hold the pieces in place.  Corner blocks are wood with neoprene on the sides that contact the instrument.  I like Alex's suede choice - should last forever!

20210130_144416-1459.jpg

Edited by David Lay

How did you laminated the velvet to the neoprene peel and stick sheets?  Do you remember what brand the neoprene was?

I’m in Bermuda so will probably have to order everything anyway so details and where to get things would be much appreciated 

This is what I used but at 1/8" (3mm) nominal thickness.  The 1/8" material appears to be unavailable from this seller.  I had another's product run out and switched makers to find that the definition of what you get as neoprene varies.  I have had best success with the kind that is more firm than "squishy".  ("Foam" vs. "sponge" in the Amazon descriptions, perhaps??)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WVQF1DF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I put the sticky side of the neoprene to the velvet because it can be tricky controlling the amount of spray adhesive applied.  If you use too much, it soaks through ruining the facing.  The peel-and-stick surface is better for this, so I use spray adhesive to bond the wrapped edges.  

Note that in my experience, rubber adhesives eventually weaken; however, my oldest case is 4 years old and still good.

Edited by David Lay

Should be OK for a good length of time.  It's not like polystyrene or polyisocyanurate plastic foams.  It's also relatively inert with no leaching solvents or evaporating plasticizers.

Screenshot_20230123-064739.png

Edited by David Lay