A little more on G Jones

arti

G Jones, can I put a couple more questions, please?

Is the difference in key layout a problem for anyone?

I have a wooden-ended  Salvation Army 26 key in Ab/Eb.

Assuming the Officers got the metal-ended ones, what was the choice for the 'Other Ranks'?

Was the view - a hard life so go for durability or rather 'buy cheap, play to destruction then ditch?

Is retuning to G/D  generally a success? Not that I want to do that.

Thanks for your reply and well-informed comments.

I didn't really think the SA was 'into' a throw-away culture.

I love the sound of mine and see it as a no-frills workhorse.

Edited by arti

This is purely conjecture.

But, from the little I know. The Salvation Army, in their hey day, took the concertina seriously.  And they also bought and used a LOT of them. 

As these were hand made instruments. And the SA would have represented a HUGE single account. I would assume that any maker would take all of the SA made instruments very seriously. While they may not be the most aesthetically ornate. I would assume they were all made as serious, made to be used a lot, made to last instruments.

On the SA side. I would think they would have kept pretty close tabs on the instruments. Some of that would be to  keep track of duds, repairs, and other issues. And base their awarding of sales to those that held up best at the price point.

30 minutes ago, seanc said:

...from the little I know. The Salvation Army, in their hey day, took the concertina seriously.  And they also bought and used a LOT of them...

Indeed. See https://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/salv.htm.

I too have a 26-Button George Jones Ab/Eb Salvation Army Anglo (Serial No. 25105). It has the SA crest stamped/embossed on the RH end, and the SA initials worked into the fretwork. Very nice it is too...

Edited by lachenal74693

19 minutes ago, lachenal74693 said:

Indeed. See https://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/salv.htm.

I have a 26-Button George Jones A#/E# Salvation Army Anglo (Serial No. 25105). It has the SA crest stamped/embossed on the RH end, and the SA initials worked into the fretwork. Very nice it is too...

I have (according to what I have been told) an SA Lachenal Crane. 

Very well done. very nice and all around a great instrument.

I have to assume that in their time, the SA was well respected and looked up to. (in the same way that kids may look at the players today they respect and aspire to  emulate their using a brand X instrument). So, as a marketing vehicle, gaining or losing that account might represent a large share of sales beyond just the SA. 

Also, as these are not mass produced factory made instruments. A high level of QC would have gone into these all along the process. As presumably, holding onto that account may represent several people's livelihoods.

Just to say thanks for the opinions expressed.

My question came from hearing a claim that Jones were often of crude construction so I wondered if others had the same experience.

Whether or no that is so, owners clearly value and enjoy their 'boxes.'

For me, I'd guess that the SA ethos would not favour the flashy but would have wanted something that cope with the rigours of the Street Mission.