Concertina identification needed

This concertina has historical significance in Australia. Its provenance is obscure, but I expect it is basically at its core made by one of the big makers but with add-ons.  Serial number 15,569 would seem to confirm this but there are unusual things about it.  The temptation is to think Lachenal but the riveted action is uncharacteristic and the end design is like no other Lachenal I have seen. The reeds seem wide to me, suggesting Jones? The serial is punched in without ink. There are batch numbers.  The button holes in the end are bushed. There are the signs of threaded captive nuts for the straps. 

Does anyone spot maker clues for any part of this concertina. 

There was a person a few years ago who charted the different styles of action by maker but I can not find reference to his findings online. Can anyone direct me to his work?  

Sorry I can't seem to get control over rotation of the images. Whatever I do they come out like this. 

TIA

Chris

BS2.jpg

BS5.jpg

BS4.jpg

BS 1.jpg

Edited by Chris Ghent
Reason for edit: ineptitude

Typeface of the digits in the the stamped-into-the-soundboard number looks like those on one of my Jones instruments. Fretwork looks like Jones-type fretwork, as do the arms & mechanisms.

7 hours ago, Chris Ghent said:

There was a person a few years ago who charted the different styles of action by maker but I can not find reference to his findings online. Can anyone direct me to his work? 

http://www.scatesconcertinas.com/pdf/RE ACTIONS - thinking inside the box 1.pdf

I also would have guessed Jones.

• Like 1

Chris, you mention the instrument in question has some historical significance in Australia. I'd be interested to hear just what the historical significance is, but I understand if your research is on-going and you may not wish to reveal the results currently.

Just an observation, but quite a few music shops advertised Lachenal instruments in newspapers during the late C19th and early C20th, and one or two  mention Wheatstone, as a search of Trove will show, but I can't recall seeing any early advertising for Jones' concertinas in Australian printed sources. A more detailed search may possibly reveal something....

(For the benefit of those outside of Australia, Trove is a web site containing digital Australian newspaper records. A bit like You Tube in that once you start browsing you can't stop until about 4 in the morning; high levels of self control required  🙂  )