A=448: To retune or not?

I have a 20-button Lachenal I've been learning on that's tuned about A=448 or so. Playing along with lessons, sometimes it sounds off and other times it sounds okay and maybe I could play it in a session eventually. But I'm not sure. I did some searching and haven't found A=448 to be a pitch I've seen mentioned. If it were A=456 I'm sure it would be very sharp and drive me nuts, but the pitch it is right now, it almost seems I could get away with it?

448 vs 440 is quite a lot.

my suggestion would be, assuming you like it. Play the hell out of it and learn as much as you can and don’t worry about tuning.  As long as it’s in tune enough with yourself it should be tolerable.

assuming you’re making reference to an Irish session. You are going to want/ need a 30 button. As you’re really going to need the accidentals to play (esp in D).

on your next one, when you make the leap to a 30 make sure you get one that is 440.

retuning yours would likely cost quite a lot and that money would be better spent towards upgrading to a better, in tune, piece.

just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, seanc! One thing I forgot to mention: mine has an extra button on the C-row that seems to have been added at some point. If i did decide to retune to 440, I would also get that swapped to something like a G#/C# so I would have at least one accidental for playing in D or A. Something like that might get me more mileage out of what I currently have now, possibly? But, yes, Irish session is what I meant and I'm going to eventually want 30 buttons if I stick with it. It's tempting looking at other options even now..

I am NOT an Anglo player. So I would listen to suggestions of others far more than mine here..

but.. if that extra button is where a c# would be on a standard 30 button. You’re in good shape.

But for me. From a learning, unlearning, muscle memory perspective. It would do far more harm to me to learn a bunch of tunes with that c# in the “wrong” place. Then move to a new box. Where that button was now in The “right” place. 

On 1/7/2023 at 1:21 PM, seanc said:

448 vs 440 is quite a lot.

A very noticeable 31 cents to be precise

assuming you’re making reference to an Irish session. You are going to want/ need a 30 button. As you’re really going to need the accidentals to play (esp in D).

You might be surprised how many of the old-style players in Ireland only ever used the C#...

On 1/7/2023 at 1:26 AM, a143ek said:

I have a 20-button Lachenal I've been learning on that's tuned about A=448 or so. Playing along with lessons, sometimes it sounds off and other times it sounds okay and maybe I could play it in a session eventually. But I'm not sure.

That's 31 cents sharp, almost a third of a semitone.

You'd be lucky to get away with your life - don't try it!

I did some searching and haven't found A=448 to be a pitch I've seen mentioned. 

You won't, it's not a known standard. Maybe it's meant to be Medium/Old Royal Society of Arts Pitch (A-444 = 15 cents sharp)?

Edited by Stephen Chambers