Recording concertina quartet arrangements using a DAW

5 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

And next time I use the Edison Dictaphone, and I am twirling round that foil cylinder, I shall consider the merits of later technology!

In yesterday’s New York Times:

Wax Cylinders Hold Audio From a Century Ago. The Library Is Listening.

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts acquired a machine that transfers recordings from the fragile format. Then a batch of cylinders from a Met Opera librarian arrived.

Link to article

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I'm slghtly surprised by the enthusiasm for a metronome or click track. Is strict tempo desirable? If four musicians were playing together, wouldn't they be listening to each other rather than to a metronome?

I've not used a DAW so don't know if it has this kind of setting, but I find a drum machine much more natural and easier to work with than a clicking metronome. I think it helps in anticipating the beats much better rather than trying to follow a mechanical click. 

Gary

13 hours ago, gcoover said:

I've not used a DAW so don't know if it has this kind of setting, but I find a drum machine much more natural and easier to work with than a clicking metronome. I think it helps in anticipating the beats much better rather than trying to follow a mechanical click. 

Gary

Drum machine, tick rock, click.. the noise used is not as relevant as using it.

But, if you don’t think you need a click.. then just try it with out..

all I can say is that.. ime.. everybody thinks they’re Pavarotti or Beyoncé.. until you put in tune instruments behind them and you listen to the play back. 

but depending on how seriously the recording is being taken…and the ears of the editing person. Getting it REALLY right on the take saves 100x the time you will spend in retakes, over dubs, and trying to edit out all of the bad notes.

from my experience also.. keeping the notes as staccato as possible makes an immense difference during the retake/ over dub and editing.

Edited by seanc
  • Like 1