Concertina tuning / maintenance person in Germany?

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I own an O'Connor Anglo concertina that I bought second hand seven years ago. It gets played a lot nowadays as I improved enough to really enjoy it. There are a few things I liked to have looked at. Like B on left hand G-row is slightly different to B on right hand C-row. A, G and G# on the 'accidental' row have a bit of a 'husky' sound to them. Some buttons have a bit of a 'click' to them (which could be my playing - flipping over them kind of... but maybe there's something that could do with replacing).

I want someone experienced to have a look at it and do whatever maintenance is needed. 

Is there anyone in Germany you can recommend? I wrote to Suttner Concertinas but didn't get an answer. Try there again? Someone else you can recommend?

Irina

Other that Jurgen Suttner, I cannot find anyone else in Germany.

How far are you from Molenbeersel/Kinroo, Belgium? In the list linked below there is a maker listed -Harry Guens. Or how contacting one of the UK repairers listed?

I don't know if the list is up to date

https://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-mak.htm

Edited by Rod Pearce
  • Thanks 1

If you send a concertina from Germany to the UK for an overhaul, you risk being charged VAT in one direction or possibly even both directions -- and that would be on the value of the intrument, not on the cost of the overhaul. Brexit has had many negative consequences and we're still waiting to learn of any positive ones. How about looking for a repairer in Ireland?

If all documentation clearly refers to repair with the item to be returned on completion, there should be no import duty coming in to to the UK.

Also, provided the documentation clearly identifies a repair, and it includes a copy of the invoice for the repair cost, there should be no customs charge on leaving the UK. The receiving country may make a charge based on the repair cost as in the invoice.

Edited by John Wild
typing error

On 1/4/2023 at 6:19 PM, nils said:

[...] Concertinatreffen in May, you could meet him there.

Nils, that sounds interesting! I guess there's some I formation about that on the internet?

Rod, unfortunately I'm in the other side of the country but I noted the name in case I get to travel anywhere close. The things I'd like looked at aren't 'serious' so they can wait.

I agree with Nils, if you can wait a bit you can catch up with Jürgen in May.

if it’s urgent you could contact a repairman in Ireland. 
I wouldn’t send an instrument to the UK at the moment. 
Some minor repairs can be done by yourself you can pm me and I’ll try to offer some advice 

• Thanks 1