Is this a golden age for concertinas?

Not necessarily in terms of popularity with players or the general public, but in terms of the number of builders and the range of available instruments and price ranges.  It seems to me that there are more builders, and a wider range, out there than there ever have been.

Years ago, in some other thread here IIRC, someone called our current era (since approx. the 1990s) a "silver age" where the original golden age was late 19th century up to the 1920s (when we had Wheatstone, Crabb, Jeffries, and yes, Lachenal).

Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken_Coles said:

the original golden age was late 19th century up to the 1920s

The same timeframe is designated as the golden age for mandolins. What was it about that period?  More free time?  Fewer distractions?  An appreciation for music making as a social (vs. commercial) activity?

Interesting subject . A few thoughts.

To add to the above list ,George Jones of course , and many cheaper German imports,

Lachenal were mass producing concertinas and were selling them to many outlets who sold under their own label. Around Manchester there were many concertina bands. 

The concertina is certainly gaining in popularity Worldwide. 

I suppose the only way to really check this out is to find out the total output pre Wars and now, but it would be impossible to obtain all this info .

if  the cheap Chinese imports were added there must be more concertinas produced now.

Al  

To respond to the above good points:

I am an anglo player, so I suppose that is where I get the impression from. However there seem to be a lot of vintage Duet and English instruments in the market (hence lower prices), so it is understandable that makers concentrate on the Anglos which they can generally sell for more money for the same (or less) material and labour input.

When I say golden age I really mean in the choice available. I am pretty sure that the total volume being produced world wide is well below that of the 1890s - 1920s. I'm sure that the same is true for most "Home Entertainment" instruments since the coming of the gramophone, radio, and television.

During that perios there we perhaps 10 builders at most? (Crabbe Jeffries, Wheatstone, Lachenal, Rock Chidley, Shakespeare, nickolds, Jones etc), and it seems that there are far more that that available now, especially if Hybrids are included. (Obviously many of the hybrids share the same heritage, but they still offer a range of features, price and quality)

Edited by Clive Thorne

From my perspective here in the Northeast USA, any “golden age” that might have been running would have ended last spring when The Button Box closed up shop, both retail and manufacturing. No more Morse concertinas, no more convenient answer to “Where can I get one of those?” (which I still hear all the time).

• Thanks 1

Some people insist on some very specific details to make the perfect concertina.

I once owned a Jeffries, and I now own a Dipper. They were separated in age by many decades. Both are top quality instruments.  The date of manufacture is therefore not crucial to me.

Some insist on reeds in shoes. Others accept or prefer accordion style reeds. To my mind, these are two competing methods with pros and cons.  Some people no doubt prefer real gut strings on a fiddle, and others prefer metal.

What do know is that, compared to the 1960s and 1970s, there are many options, ranging from budget beginner's beater boxes up to exquisitely hand made works of art.

There is something readily available at almost every level of quality, and there are plenty of craftsmen restoring and maintaining vintage boxes.

Furthermore,  many people on low to moderate incomes are able to get a decent instrument at a fair price, and tuition is available in a range of forms.

That sounds like a golden age to me.

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

From my perspective here in the Northeast USA, any “golden age” that might have been running would have ended last spring when The Button Box closed up shop, both retail and manufacturing. No more Morse concertinas, no more convenient answer to “Where can I get one of those?” (which I still hear all the time).

I would mention that the Button Box's Bob Snope is continuing his excellent tech service out of his home in Amherst, Ma.  He has just completed for me a challenging project adding a new cluster of bass notes for my Wheatstone Jeffries duet with first rate results and is now nearly finished with a C to D core conversion.  He keeps a list of instruments desired and for sale including a Morse C/G in mint condition.  

21 hours ago, David Barnert said:

This is especially true for Hayden players, as currently there is no affordable nor readily available instrument with at least „46 standard” button count and proper button spacing. So while it might not be the end of golden/silver era for this system, it is most certainly on pause.

• Like 1