Visiting The Uk

On the 21st of July my daughter Maggie and I will be arriving in the UK for a 3 week visit! The current plan is a little crazy, but it has to do with the schedules of various friends and family.

The day after our arrival we plan to take the train to Doncaster, to be met by our good friend Bill Sables. We will spend a few days in Yorkshire. Train back to London by the 28th, where we will spend a few days (until 1 or 2 August) visiting my cousin and another good friend.

Then it gets silly- do we scoot back north to Edinburgh, where my cousin is performing in the Fringe festival on the 5th? Or do we spend the last week tootling around the obligatory sights? In any event, we will probably end with a hasty spin around the most important shrines- Oxford, Stratford, Stonehenge/Avebury, Bath (these are my daughter's wishes- she's a very bright, not-at-all-typical 16-year old who's biggest teen idol of the moment is Will Shakespeare, although Jane Austen and the Brontes are up there in her pantheon!)

Back to the US on the 10th of August.

I am looking forward to meeting Alan Day at the George on August 1. Are there others of you I'm likely to run into- or who would love to show us the beauties of your particular corner of the motherland?

Oxford, Stratford, Stonehenge/Avebury, Bath

Well, we live in the beautiful little town of Bradford on Avon, which is just 9 miles from Bath (and not much further from Colin Dipper!). Look here for more. You would be welcome to stay a night with us if you like. We are at Sidmouth Folk Festival from 29th July to 5th August, but outside those dates you would be very welcome.

Our own session (co-incidentally also in a pub called The George) is on Monday 8th August.

Cheers,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On the 21st of July my daughter Maggie and I will be arriving in the UK for a 3 week visit!

We (my wife and I) are crossing the same day the North Sea to arrive in Harwich with car and caravan. Our first aim is to join a wedding near Stratford-upon-Avon on Friday 22nd of July. After that the only thing that is sure, is a visit to family in Dundee (son, daughter in law & 3 grandchildren). We should be back in Harwich on the 7th of August (early in the morning).

Suggestion on Concertina events etc. are welcome, but I promised my wife that our trip will not be a concertina pilgrimage. As far as it looks now tips on camping places are also welcome.

Thanks!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

You really should try and take in some Sidmouth (that's a thought, we should see if there's enough c.netters around to have a get-together - I happen to know Jonathan Taylor is over from Switzerland on the first weekend). Lots more inforation here.

There's one of our sessions at The George in Bradford on Avon on next Monday 25th July, and BoA is quite a lovely town.

Cheers,

Chris

On the 21st of July my daughter Maggie and I will be arriving in the UK for a 3 week visit!

We (my wife and I) are crossing the same day the North Sea to arrive in Harwich with car and caravan. Our first aim is to join a wedding near Stratford-upon-Avon on Friday 22nd of July. After that the only thing that is sure, is a visit to family in Dundee (son, daughter in law & 3 grandchildren). We should be back in Harwich on the 7th of August (early in the morning).

Suggestion on Concertina events etc. are welcome, but I promised my wife that our trip will not be a concertina pilgrimage. As far as it looks now tips on camping places are also welcome.

Thanks!

Warwick Folk Festival runs 21st - 23rd July and is 10 miles from Stratford. Local sessions run on Sunday and Thursday nights.

What a shame you have to go then. If you waited a couple more days then you could attend the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend which promises to be superb (see Mark Davies' posting).

Lots of very high class music and you would also get the chance to meet several C/netters including Alan Day, Dave Prebble, Mark Davies and possibly Geoff Wright, not to mention little old me. There will also be several other superb players not subscribed to C/net playing English, Anglo and Duet concertinas.

Bradfield is only about 20 miles or so from Doncaster, situated at the North-West end of Sheffield. Do give it some thought if possible.

Pete