Sticky button repair suggestions

I have a metal ended Marcus C/G anglo (hook-style action), and the left hand right-most C row button has been gradually becoming sticky over time, i.e. it does not immediately pop back when I release the button. It started out pretty minor, but has gradually worsened over time, and is now reaching the point where it interferes with playing quickly.

I've taken the end off to examine it, and the button appears to function just fine with the end removed. I can see some wear & darkening on the button hole's felt, on the side towards the hand rest. My leading theory is that the button is rubbing against the side of of the hole, which creates enough friction to slow the release.

Is replacing the felt on that hole the right next step? Or is there something I should be looking into with respect to the button alignment itself? Anything else I should consider?

Before adding lubricants (which should not be necessary) it's worth doing a bit of detective work to find out which exact spot is causing the problem.   If it all works freely with the end removed that suggests to me that either the felt bush is too tight, or the button is not aligned exactly with the hole in the end.

To check the bush take the button off the lever and offer it up to the hole in the end.  It should move freely.  Try it in other holes for comparison. If it is tight you can easily compress the felt to improve the clearance.  A good tool for this is an artists paintbrush which a tapered handle  that you can push into the hole until it begins to feel tight, then rotate is a few times and gently wiggle it around.

Now before replacing the button inspect the end of the lever and check that it is exactly over the centre of the hole for the base of the button.  If it's slightly off centre this will cause the button to bind in the hole and in the bushing.  Gently bend the lever to centralise it before re-fitting the button.

A simple fix may work. Sometimes the felt around the button hole needs compressing. Remove the metal end. Using a pencil with a slightly larger diameter than the hole, push the pencil into the hole with a twisting motion, remove and it should be better. If necessary, use a little graphite from the pencil lead on the inside of the felt. That should be the easiest fix.

I think I just had success on fixing it. It does appear to have been an alignment issue, but I didn't have to bend the lever!

Since it's a hook-type action, the levers can actually slide forward and backward under the levels. It appears that this one had slid slightly too far in one direction, misaligning the button. I slide it a millimeter or so back the other direction, and it immediately felt MUCH better!