Keep? Trade? Upgrade? Wheatstone 22 and 55B crane.

seanc

So,

I need a bit of advice. CAS seems to have caught up with me. I am now up to 4. (I know, many of you here will call that, "An anemic start" or "decent for  first effort").

Currently have:

Wheatstone TT Aeola 55b EC

Wheatstone 22 (48b English)

Lachenal 55b New model Crane

Wheatstone 57b Maccan.

I have been focusing on English and Crane. Since I bought the Aeola. I have not touched the 22. The Aeola has been problem free. So, I am seeing less need for a back up.

The Crane , is beautiful and sounds great. But it no where near as light, fast responsive and fast as the ECs.  The Maccan, I just have not gotten around to fiddling with.

Around here Cranes seem to be pretty uncommon. Would the wisdom of the crowd be to just be happy with what I have? Trade the 22 for a Crane? Trade the 22 And New Model for One bigger, better or faster Crane? 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

It may depend on what music you want to play. I prefer an Anglo for dance music, the English (48) for accompanying a quiet singer and for portability and speed in sessions . Currently learning a Crane duet (51) which I love, and intend to play whenever possible. By far my favourite of the three. 

14 minutes ago, Paul Hurst said:

It may depend on what music you want to play. I prefer an Anglo for dance music, the English (48) for accompanying a quiet singer and for portability and speed in sessions . Currently learning a Crane duet (51) which I love, and intend to play whenever possible. By far my favourite of the three. 

Is it the Crane keyboard that you particularly like, or something about the playability/sound of your individual instrument?

Both, Alex, I love that, like my English, the keys are laid out in a logical pattern - even better with each end being self-contained. 51 keys is enough for me to have an octave overlap, allowing for me to play silly beggars in some tunes with exactly the same notes each side - and playing an octave apart is easy, just flip the fingering pattern.

I lucked into this instrument by accident after flooding all the places I could think of with requests for a top-end Crane and expected to have a long wait until a suitable Aeola or Edeophone came up. Instead, I was contacted by someone who decided to sell me his one, as he had a new, smaller one coming -     https://crane.concertina.org/details.php?indexnum=40

Playing it out at the moment with two Anglo players, busking with a set of carols to raise money for charity and will start working it into sessions and gigs gradually next year. Had for about a year, but work got in the way.

For me, 51 keys turned out to be ideal, so a 55 would have be good, but a 48 somewhat restrictive. I had a huge one back in the 80's for a bit, wouldn't go down that path again - too heavy and bulky. 

A friend who is a brilliant Anglo player, having tried my Crane said if he had his time again that is what he would buy, and stick with it. I agree.

Sorry for being a bit slow, I've just realised that I have my Crane due to you making John his new one - cheers!

04850c30-ce0a-46fd-ad12-0acab701fb52.jpg

Edited by Paul Hurst
Sudden flash of realisation
  • Like 2

I think I'd be fine with the 55 buttons i have.. Just thinking of something a bit faster.

And I agree. Something about the Crane lay out just seems to click with me too.

Edited by seanc

Perhaps worth chatting with Alex above? Yes, the 48b Aeolas are great for speed, but lovely as it is there is no way I would keep mine in preference to the Crane, or my Anglos. Of course, I play mainly English and French traditional music at a slower pace than an Irish session at full steam so YMMV, horses for courses, etc. Good luck with your search.