Selling an instrument from the US to EU country... Does anyone have experience with this re: shipping documents

richard

Hello

I am intending  to send a concertina to someone who has purchased it from me. The desiination is Ireland.

The USPS requires an invoice. Can I just make a document that states buyer and their information, seller and their information, and the price?

This is confusing. Does anyone have experience with this?

Richard

Hello Richard, I have the experiences but the other way...

You need to fill up the CN23 form in 2 copy and put it visible on the box (don't do a paper yourself ;-))

The HS number is 920590 for accordion/concertina.

When I user the local postage service (like USPS), they give me the CN23 pdf already filled in (well from my input on site)...I just have to print it, sign it and eventually had something in description...Don't forget to do 2 copy.

Here is a link with more info :

https://www.sendcloud.com/cn22-cn23-customs-declarations/

Good luck !

VAT will be levied on the invoiced price and shipping costs.  However, if it can be proved that the instrument is more than 100 years old it may be exempt from VAT as an antique.  Check what is needed on the paperwork to prove the instrument is an antique.

Edited by SteveS

Hi

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I was thrown by having to include and invoice and figuring out what that entailed. It probably entails extra cost for the recipient and some for me too, but I'm not sure.It is certainly easier to ship within borders but now a nice instrument has found its way to Ireland and thats good for the Irish.

Richard

When I bought an instrument from Canada - I am in the UK - I thought the main risk was it getting stuck in UK customs, or paying the 20%+ tax, or it just going missing. So I arranged the shipping myself. I thought it would be easier for me than the vendor to resolve any delivery problems in the UK as I was party to the contract. I used a UK Parcel Broker who gave me a choice of shippers (UPS, DHL, no-name, ...) at various prices and a choice of insured value. I could choose, after consulting the vendor, whether it was to be collected or dropped off at a collection point. It all went well.

So when I sold my previous instrument I stipulated the same process. The buyer would have preferred that I arranged shipping, but I did not want to have to resolve problems with customs or delivery in a foreign country whose language I do not speak, with the risk of having to refund if it disappeared. And there were problems, but the buyer sorted them out and - eventually - received the instrument.

It obviously requires the buyer to trust the seller, to pay for the instrument confident that the seller will release it. And also how keen the seller is to sell it. The advantage to the buyer is in choosing a shipper in which they have confidence.

Edited by DaveRo