Jazz Tutors

tblay

Does anyone have information about tutors for playing jazz on an anglo?

If you mean books, I don't believe there are any.

If you mean human teachers, I don't know of any, but I'd love to hear that there are.

Back to books: I've heard of English concertina players using books for jazz accordion, using what they can and adjusting where necessary. If you're already familiar with your instrument and can pick out chords on your own, you might try that on the anglo. (Sorry, but I don't know specifics of books to recommend.)

I would make a start by buying some busker books.These will give you the basic tune.From learning these you add your own Jazz ornamentation just like we are discussing in the "Styles" discussion.These busker books are used by many musicians for playing for dances and are to be used as a guide to the tune and not strictly play this as written.Choose tunes in an easy key to start with and progress.

Another of my future projects, that I did on the trumpet, but need to do on my concertina.

Al B)

Does anyone have information about tutors for playing jazz on an anglo?

No but if you are looking to learn jazz and are, as Jim suggests, able to adapt then take a look here http://outsideshore.com/primer/primer/.

As Alan suggests, busker books are a great idea once you understand what is required to jazz up your music. I've been using these books for a great many years now, for various instruments.

For my money, the best all-encompassing jazz "manual" is the Mark Levine one: link to the publisher's website here. It's a massive book, and explains how jazz works, both melodically and harmonically, more thoroughly than anything else I've read; the only aspect of jazz playing it doesn't cover so well is the free-improv end of things. I would recommend it without reservation, but it's by no means a step-by-step tutor - for that, the easier level Aebersold play-along discs that Pauline mentions are certainly well worthwhile.