Anyone familiar with the Irish concertina company

I have a chance to play a Vintage. It is a beautiful instrument. The sound is bright (for sure brighter than your Kensington), not necessarily a bad thing.

The buttons are light and even. I myself prefer delrin to metal, however.

The bellows are very soft, in fact, too soft to my taste. Even when new, you close the concertina, and put it down, the bellows don't expand much, may be 1/4 - 1/2 inch. IMHO, the softness of the bellows makes the concertina less stable when being played fast. Note that I'm not commenting on the quality of the bellows, which I think is quite good.

I haven't played many concertinas, but among the ones I could get my hands on, I best like the feeling of the Morse Céilí bellows. They feel just right, not too hard nor too soft, when new and when well-played.

By the way, I had a chance to deal with Sean Garvey, the owner of The Irish Concertina Company, on some issues regarding shipping. It was not his fault, but he was very nice and very accommodating.

Edited by pentaprism

• 5 months later...

If you read the Website there are single card options made by Peter o Connor from Tralee who also makes for 7mount. So please state what top end you played that does not compare with Suttner etc. Because on the Wdbsite everything is explained as to the quality of thd Reeds in each instrument. If you are looking for an honest Maker who is upfront about the type Reeds in each Model the Irish Concertin Company is it.

On 11/4/2022 at 5:43 PM, pentaprism said:

I have a chance to play a Vintage. It is a beautiful instrument. The sound is bright (for sure brighter than your Kensington), not necessarily a bad thing.

The buttons are light and even. I myself prefer delrin to metal, however.

The bellows are very soft, in fact, too soft to my taste. Even when new, you close the concertina, and put it down, the bellows don't expand much, may be 1/4 - 1/2 inch. IMHO, the softness of the bellows makes the concertina less stable when being played fast. Note that I'm not commenting on the quality of the bellows, which I think is quite good.

I haven't played many concertinas, but among the ones I could get my hands on, I best like the feeling of the Morse Céilí bellows. They feel just right, not too hard nor too soft, when new and when well-played.

By the way, I had a chance to deal with Sean Garvey, the owner of The Irish Concertina Company, on some issues regarding shipping. It was not his fault, but he was very nice and very accommodating.

Pentaprism,  throwing a negative comment saying there was some issues with shipping but he was nice and accommodating  leaves the readers with dout and questions like - is this a person I can work with. All very negative. Is this what you meant to convey. By the way both the Morse Ceili which is not made anymore and the Clare and old versions of the Vintage have the same Bellows as they were all made using Accordion Card.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, LR71 said:

They cost less, though, excepting the cheapest Suttner. Was the playability almost as good? 

Thanks for the post. BTW which Suttner is cheaper than what ever you are comparing it to? Last I looked his prices are up 4.5 K USD and over.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, DR SQUEESE said:

Pentaprism,  throwing a negative comment saying there was some issues with shipping but he was nice and accommodating  leaves the readers with dout and questions like - is this a person I can work with. All very negative. Is this what you meant to convey. By the way both the Morse Ceili which is not made anymore and the Clare and old versions of the Vintage have the same Bellows as they were all made using Accordion Card.

Reading his shipping comment as an unbiased reader. I see nothing negative about the maker here.  Quite the opposite. As a person that has experienced catastrophic shipping issues. Having somebody that helps, or even resolves is huge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DR SQUEESE said:

If you read the Website there are single card options made by Peter o Connor from Tralee who also makes for 7mount. So please state what top end you played that does not compare with Suttner etc. Because on the Wdbsite everything is explained as to the quality of thd Reeds in each instrument. If you are looking for an honest Maker who is upfront about the type Reeds in each Model the Irish Concertin Company is it.

Forgive my ignorance here but are you affiliated with the Irish Concertina Company? That was the impression I got from older posts you've made.

1 hour ago, Jillser Nic Amhlaoibh said:

Forgive my ignorance here but are you affiliated with the Irish Concertina Company? That was the impression I got from older posts you've made.

One of the good dr's old posts is pretty unambiguous, so well spotted:

David, Thank you for looking after my customer. In reply to those enquiring about my prices of different models, you can find all the details on the front page of our website:  

https://www.irishconcertinacompany.com/

Thank you for your kind comments,

Sean Garvey 

Maker

This morning I was driving to Ennis, on the radio Ryan Tubridy was talking about Illeism. A clear case of that here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, DR SQUEESE said:

Where is the negative comment in "It was not his fault, but he was very nice and very accommodating"?

To be honest, at this point I still don't really know what the cause of the shipping problem was. All I knew at the time was that the concertina, instead of going directly from Dublin to California, decided to take a scenic tour to other countries. When I informed Sean of the problem, he was just as surprised as I was as how that could have happened, and he did try everything he could to make me happy, including offering a full refund. I didn't take the refund offer because that would be unfair to him. Fortunately, in the end it was resolved, even thought it did cost me a little bit of time and money.

As for me, based on that experience, I'd deal with Sean again any day. Did I tell you that the problem was not his fault, but he was very nice and very accommodating?

Edited by pentaprism

On 4/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, Notemaker said:

Thanks for the post. BTW which Suttner is cheaper than what ever you are comparing it to? Last I looked his prices are up 4.5 K USD and over.

Thanks.

That was quick, last year when I made my spreadsheet attempting to document prices from makers who use traditional reeds Suttner still offered a model - probably the A2 - at €3,530.  Now they're at €4,300.  Which is the same as the Eirú Gold, the ICC's top of the line.  Guess it's inflation at work.

When I was a complete beginner (still am but a better one ha ha) I simultaneously had The Clare (concertina company) and the Morse Ceili...but budget pushed me to get rid of one...I couldn’t choose ! 
I liked the sound of The Clare better than the Morse...but the Morse has more sound projection, it filled the room which was pretty nice. I finally kept the Morse because of bigger size (big hand) and the sound projection. But then I also sold the Morse because I didn't care for the sound that much (right side was pretty good, but not the left. And with tipo a mano option). 
Guess I am not a fan of Hybrid after all !
They have a new video comparing their concertinas line :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7jQrXQh-gg 
First time I hear The Clare with brass reed, interesting sound !  
Discovering Aoife Johnson, what a great player !!! Love her style.

Nicolas

When she says that she is playing a Clare with brass reeds and another Clare with aluminium reeds, I presume that she means the reed shoes and not the reed tongues?

If so, then this is an interesting demonstration on how this affects the sound - quite striking I thought and I really liked the brass version.

15 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

When she says that she is playing a Clare with brass reeds and another Clare with aluminium reeds, I presume that she means the reed shoes and not the reed tongues?

If so, then this is an interesting demonstration on how this affects the sound - quite striking I thought and I really liked the brass version.

The accordion reed plates are brass and aluminum respectively. I've seen some photos showing them in situ. It does sound quite different and if they're the same level/brand of reed, it's surprising. Perhaps it being a larger reed plate than a concertina reed has some kind of impact.