Don Halter

Don H

Go for it, Don. I am 71 and today Nov 5th  is exactly 3 years since I bought my first English (chromatic) concertina. I play it every day, no matter how pushed I am for time. I now feel confident to play in folk sessions and even to lead some tunes. (BTW I am in UK and have a cousin in Austin, TX.)

Best of luck to you!

Hi Don

the only thing I’ll add is that, unfortunately, the most affordable instruments are very difficult to play and can be very uncomfortable/frustrating for a new player.  These are generally bulky and have slower reed responses which means you have to work much harder physically to play them. At around $2000 you can find decent, mid level instruments that are much easier to play and have a better sound.  It’s a tough call as to whether or not to spend this much up front without knowing how you will even take to the instrument. Just know that if you do go with one of the cheaper models, some of your frustration (we all get frustrated in the beginning) might be because of the instrument itself.  I lasted about three months on a $600 instrument (Stagi brand) before I upgraded to a $2500 mid level instrument.  

• Like 1

I would echo Wally's comments and add that mid-level to top flight concertinas all hold their value really well.  If you can afford the up-front cost, buy a good new or used hybrid like a Morse or Edgley, (often to be found on the buy and sell forum here). The ease with which these can be played relative to a cheap instrument will give you a real leg up on your learning.  If you decide after a while that it's not for you, you will know that the decision was made for solid reasons like aptitude and enjoyment, not as a result of equipment related frustration.  And you should be able to sell it on for pretty close to what you paid for it.  You might lose a few hundred dollars on the transaction, but the same would be true if you bought a new Chinese or Italian  concertina for $600, then tried to sell it on.

I always say that money saved on cheap instruments is often a waste. Buy cheap, buy twice. A cheap instrument may be more difficult to play and may discourage you.

That said, I acknowledge that this is a somewhat elitist attitude. A professional  musician can do more with a cheap instrument than I can do with my lovely Dipper.

The best advice is try before you buy, and buy the best you can afford.

Of course what is cheap to one individual may on the other hand seem like expensive 'gold' to another; and once you find instrument that fits you - whichever range you can afford; then if you like it go for it regardless.. and the partnership between musician and instrument could well soon flourish brilliantly.  I have heard people play tin penny whistles very well, and on other hand others with really deemed top range items do no better over all. [please note it's not criticism of anyone - just encouragement to all].

Hi Don,

I started about a year and a half ago and I'm really enjoying it, and starting to play in sessions now. You're never too old to learn, in my opinion. I don't think you need a very fancy instrument to start, but definitely don't get the base model. As others have said, it will be very hard to play and discourage you. Also check this course from one of the best players out there. It's organized extremely well and will get you up and playing very quickly.  https://www.irishconcertinalessons.com/course_introduction/1

Here's my story if it helps.

First I put out a call on Facebook to any friend who might have a concertina I could try out to see if I liked the feel of it. From that I tried an English Stagi, which was pretty hard to play, but definitely got me excited about really learning. 

I knew I wanted to play Irish, and found the Mcneela website with their different models. I then found a lightly used Swan for sale on the forums here for about half off retail. I think Mcneela is having a black Friday sale now also. The Swan has been great for learning, high enough quality to be playable but not break the bank if you don't end up liking it. 

You might also want to check out some of the local Irish sessions! (if you are interested in playing Irish music) The players there might know someone with a concertina you could rent or buy, and they will also have good ideas on where to find some beginner-friendly music. I know there is a group that meets at the Penny Whistle Pub which is near the University of St. Thomas, but I would also check and see if there are other sessions closer to your area.