Marin Mareis

wunks

A friend has recommended the music of Marin Marais,  specificly, 5 Old French Dances for Viola/Cello.  Examples on youtube with Viola de Gamba sound luscious and achievable on my Duet.  Does anyone play this music on concertina or know of examples?

Marin Marais was a viola da gamba player and composer 300 years ago.

Portrait_de_Marin_Marais_(Mus%C3%A9e_de_

Because I play the cello, I am familiar with some of his music, but I never thought to play it on the concertina.

Thirty years ago there was a popular movie about his life (“Tous les Matins du Monde”). He was played by Gérard Depardieu.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wunks said:

Interesting that the scoop between bouts fits the knee.

I’m puzzled by the picture (it’s from Wikipedia). That’s certainly not the standard way to play a viola da gamba (gamba is Italian for leg). His left hand (right side of the picture) seems to be fingering the strings as if he were playing, but the bow is dangling from his right hand in such a manner that it looks like he can neither be bowing nor plucking the strings.

This is how you hold a gamba if you’re really playing it (a scene from the above-mentioned movie):

merlin_150950709_585442ad-63dc-4697-85cf

Oh yes it is possible, I believe to play anything you want on a concertina, that you can manage; or at least to attempt to.  I haven't tried Marais but have similar music of that period deemed from my music book collection that eminently suite concertina very well indeed. Music at that time seemed very universal in its structure as  being playable on other instruments. And as we know it was not uncommon at that time for a composers work to be already made available or suitable for other instruments other than that composed for originally. [The Bach works good example.]

8 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Marin Marais was a viola da gamba player and composer 300 years ago.

Portrait_de_Marin_Marais_(Mus%C3%A9e_de_

Because I play the cello, I am familiar with some of his music, but I never thought to play it on the concertina.

Thirty years ago there was a popular movie about his life (“Tous les Matins du Monde”). He was played by Gérard Depardieu.

A pose for a portrait for sure but with the ( subducted? ) bow hand position, easily playable.  Is/was there really a standard?  Concertinas are supported in various ways;  straps, knees etc..