Tuning D reed, but note going wrong way!

Hi everyone, I just got my first concertina, a McNeela wren 2. 
The d note (right hand, middle button, second finger, pull) is more like a C#!! 
after Investigating inside the concertina, and many videos on tuning, I start filing the end of the reed as everything I saw said that that will raise the note. Only to get my tuner and find that the note is getting closer to C#, rather than closer to D! What am I doing wrong? Now I’m nervous to mess with it without an explanation for why this is happening! 

Thanks I’m advance for any help! 

Are you using a tuning bellows or checking the note by reassembling the concertina? Not uncommon to find that the note is different in the instrument when compared to out. Normal technique is to establish the adjustment needed with the reed in the instrument (e.g. note shows 40cents flat) on tuner then sharpen by 40cents from the note measured when the reed is on the tuning bellows. Then replace in the instrument and check. (You may know all of this, but your post suggests this is your first time tuning).  Good luck and be gentle!!!! Reeds can easily be ruined by over zealous filing!

Make sure you support the reed underneath with a thin shim - a strip of aluminium cut from a drink  can will work if you have nothing else. Slide the shim between the reed and the reed shoe/plate.

Edited by Milesy
Remembered detail

You’re right, first time tuning! I am filing it, replacing it in the Instrument and then checking it while holding the end on. I don’t screw in the end each time. But even fully assembled, the note is still very flat. More flat than when I started. I did file the crap out of the feed so I hope I didn’t ruin it! 
but why is the note going the wrong way?! 

As far as I understand you file one end to flatten and the other to raise the pitch.. sorry not technically explained.  But myself, I would have sent instrument back to the maker to be returned by them.

It is not uncommon to have adjustments made when purchase concertinas . ( I had my Anglo adjusted way back when I just bought it) which then improved with use over time.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
Very tiny phone keypad!

If a reed is a semitone flat that usually indicates a cracked reed which  will eventually break.  That will also continue to drop in pitch as the crack develops.  If that is what is happening here you will need to replace the reed.

I am surprised that a new steel reed is cracking, the Wren cannot be so old as to be developing metal fatigue. I suspect that if you are using a pair of tweezers to lever up the reed tongue at the back end of the reed, then that could cause stresses that flatten the reed pitch. If you are filing the reed tip on the top surface of the reed tongue close to the free end of the reed, then that is fine, but if the filed area extends more than say 25% back from the tip then you could be negating some of the good you are doing. Finally, if you are using a steel file and the part of the reed tongue that is under the file is not supported adequately (a shim of 0,25mm or less is adequate) then you will be bending the reed tongue again flattening it's pitch. Steel files need more pressure than diamond files. I use 400 or 600 grit files. 

This is not a criticism of Lauren, who lives distant from anyone who might have been able to offer advice or skill in dealing with a concertina problem, and so must make decisions with a different set of constraints than many of us. Just an observation.

Anybody who buys a concertina quickly learns that they will have to develop certain maintenance skills, because sending it in to the shop every time one of the million things that can go wrong goes wrong becomes very impractical.

So we seek out sources of information about the subject and gradually collect advice and demonstrations. Some things we hear only once, but they make so much sense that we find a way to implement them in our routines. Some things we hear over and over. One such piece of advice is: Don’t try tuning it yourself. Take it to someone who really knows what they’re doing.

Fortunately, concertinas do not often need tuning (more often someone wants to retune one to a different standard or temperament).

I have taken my concertina apart many, many times to deal with things like fluffy notes, poorly seated pads, broken springs, broken buttons, etc.

But reading this thread, I’m glad that the one time I thought it might need tuning (15 years ago), I took it to a pro.

• Like 1

Yes, anyone who owns a concertina gets used to dong little operations now and again, or sometimes frequently.  It's surprising what adjustments you can make yourself even just by 'improvising' for example I recently had notes sounding when they should not, and so found by carefully placing adhesive [removable] felt pads just between the existing pads, barely touching, it stopped them clashing and sticking very successfully.

Of course tuning reeds is very careful delicate process; my late fathers accordion I had retuned several years ago, and even a professional had difficulty achieving this, which he did only adequately at that [ and I consider I was lucky it was still working at the end of it].  

And so, this does not seem very positive for the reported concertina reed problem here in this topic; but I hope and I a am sure someone will be able to help; even if you have to send it abroad to be fixed, and wait for a while for it to be returned, maybe that is the answer? Maybe someone on concertina.net will offer to do this for you?

The Wren 2 is an accordion reeded concertina made by Trinity in Ireland.  The reeds are easily exchanged and Trinity are still making the Wren 2.

Tell them what has happened and ask them for a replacement reed.  Refer them to this thread and they may take pity on you and give it to you for free.

If the replacement reed needs a touch tuning then take the concertina to an accordion repair shop/guy.  You might have to explain how to open up the 'tina but once they see the reed they will know what to do and it will not take them very long to fix it.

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Like 1