40 Button New Model Lachenal

Wally Carroll

I’m posting this instrument for sale on behalf of a friend. This is a rare New Model Lachenal Anglo. I am no concertina historian and don’t know the history of the New Model but it plays and sounds very much like a vintage Wheatstone. The seller is asking $6000. You can deal with me directly if interested. I’m including a note that was found in the instrument’s case that discusses the condition of the instrument. 

BFB5AFD6-36B1-4DBB-B7AD-88D913154BE9.jpeg

E7F6C031-A426-4148-BED4-3DD61A065253.jpeg

4F942637-FB36-4056-BB1F-5B7C01B841C1.jpeg

4D013487-3BB1-4357-A940-85E3C4EFB21B.jpeg

Glad you cleaned it up 🙂 What is up with the air button? Or is it a lever? Where is it being shipped from? Is shipping cost additional and, if so, how much to UK? At the moment, for my taste, for that price, I think I would look for similar that had been fully renovated. I shall keep watching the price 🙂

On 10/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, Myrtle's cook said:

That these instruments lie right at the end of Lachenal's production would be supported by the fact that this model first appears in the final price list for the company on Concertina.com, dated by internal evidence to c.1930.

Lachenal-Pricelist-All-c1930.pdf (concertina.com)

Wow, that is at least a 300 fold increase in price! Which interestingly matches the amount of inflation since we left the silver standard.

There is a collar on the air button that the previous owner installed to make a thicker button. I was planning on removing it.  I’m doing this as a favor to the current owner and am not making any commission on it so I haven’t put much work into it. The Velcro and bellows however were bothering me so I got involved.  It really is a great instrument and I may end up buying it myself at some point. I don’t normally work on instruments that haven’t come from my shop but I would make an exception for this one if the buyer wants to separately commission me for this work. The instrument already is in very good playing condition.  I’ll try to get photos of the inside posted in a day or so.  Regarding shipping to UK, lately, to ship fully insured, the cost is around $400. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 11:27 PM, Wally Carroll said:

Regarding shipping to UK, lately, to ship fully insured, the cost is around $400. 

Anyone in the UK considering buying this box will also need to be prepared for a steep import charge. It was an extra 20% on the D-A Anglo that I bought from Donovan in South Africa.

• Like 1

Interesting design, can I ask: Is that instrument a bit bigger than 6 and 1/4"? Looks a bit bigger (not a bad thing for a 40b in my opinion) 

Im just curious as I lately played a 40b Wheatstone that was 6 and 1/2" - the extra space was used to put in longer scale reeds, it played really, really well. As in, honestly I think it was the best old concertina I have played. 

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe

• 2 weeks later...