My First Tune

Simon R

This great site gave me, a complete concertina newbie, lots of really useful advice when looking to buy a quality, affordable instrument. Through a contact on here, I got hold of an early Bastari Goblin, leather bellows, metal buttons, perfect condition. From the design of the hard case that came with it, I'd guess early 80s manufacture, though I'm not sure. 

Anyway, I've never played concertina (or anything squeezy) before, though I do have proficiency on some other instruments. This is my first level one effort at a tune, a week after getting the instrument,  composed while trying to learn real tunes from instruction books. I'm making progress with the Sailor's Hornpipe, but it'll be while before I share a recording of that...

Edited by Simon R
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. This is a little tune I've been working on called Crump's Geese. Its mainly about getting taps going with the right hand where I have a fingertip missing on the middle finger so have to work extra hard. I also wanted to avoid 'breathing in' on the short chords and getting unwanted diatonics. I've had an online lesson with John Kirkpatrick which was great, and he's got me practicing bass-chord oompahs. I'm having one lesson a month to try to develop proper technique, but this tune is just a bit of fun. 

• Like 2