Removing tight reed shoes from inboard chambers on a Jeffries

19 hours ago, wunks said:

OK, so I can infer that the shoes were slid into their slots and the walls assembled after?  In other words , no clearance at the rear of the shoe?

Yes, the back walls of the chambers were only lightly glued in, and flush with the surface of the reed pan (not slotted in). I'd tease them gently out using a small pair of smooth-faced, square-nosed, pliers.

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Like 1

I have personally not had to deal with this issue ever, all of the 38 key Jeffries instruments I ever worked on had the inboard reed frames screwed down, does anyone have any pictures of this different not easily removable setup? Sounds like one to be wary of. 

Also Clive I did after a few years actually make a "reed pulling tool" to make taking reeds out for tuning - someone told me Geoff Crabb had one and I thought "well that sounds quite useful actually", easier on the finger tips!

6 hours ago, Jake Middleton-Metcalfe said:

I have personally not had to deal with this issue ever, all of the 38 key Jeffries instruments I ever worked on had the inboard reed frames screwed down, does anyone have any pictures of this different not easily removable setup? Sounds like one to be wary of. 

Also Clive I did after a few years actually make a "reed pulling tool" to make taking reeds out for tuning - someone told me Geoff Crabb had one and I thought "well that sounds quite useful actually", easier on the finger tips!

It's a 50 button duet.  

IMG_20190225_121019 (1).jpg

IMG_20190225_124151 (1).jpg

Often these  reeds in the middle don’t need to be pulled back far in order to release them from their tapered slot.  The slot is often on a slope with the reed tip at the usual depth and the screw clamp end barely below the surface.  If you can push it as far as the chamber wall the reed may lift out.

Edited by Theo
  • Like 1

I came across the issue with a 45 key Jeffries GD Anglo on the right hand side.  There was just no room to slide the reed backwards at all.  There's usually plenty of space on a 39 key Jeffries and on those which have screwed down reeds rather than slotted reeds

Alex West

And so...  The inboard reeds (on left hand and right hand side as well as both sides of each reed pan) are indeed tapered downward from heel to toe so they should come out but they're all still tight as hell.  I think I'll wait for drier air mid winter.  Do I dare tap on the clamp in the out direction?