My Last Blog Post

12 hours ago, Randy Stein said:

maybe last, blog posting:

But you promised:

My career as a professional trombone player was cut short by a bar fight and losing a few front teeth and dislocating my jaw. That’s another story for another time.

Added later:  If you have not been reading Randy's blog then you should do so right now.

The blog site takes a bit of navigating but I recommend that you go here and then scroll all the way down to the bottom of his list of blog posts and start reading them in chronological order - starting with his story about playing on John Lennon's Double Fantasy album.

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Haha 2

I’m sure I speak for many when I say I will miss the blog posts, Randy.

From the blog posting:

We went to an open casting call for paid performances for various Renaissance Fairs in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states. We performed a couple tunes and did some small acrobatic stunts for a three person panel seated behind a white foldout table. After we were done one of the women on the panel looked directly at me and asked if the concertina was played during the renaissance. I said it was not invented yet, but I play baroque music. She informed us that they only hire genuine renaissance musicians.

I once heard a similar story from Gene Murrow, another concertina player, although this one had nothing to do with the concertina. When he was living in California his Morris Dancing team was rejected from an audition for a Renaissance Fair because their kit (outfit) contained colors that were not available as dyes during the Renaissance.

If you really want to get pedantic about it, there are very few people playing instruments that are truly period-correct for the Renaissance. Ren faires tend to be pretty heavy on anachronisms anyway. You do have to draw a line somewhere if you want to preserve the character of the event, and I can sympathize with that. But to claim that the line is genuine historical authenticity strikes me as a bit suspect. Ah well.

Randy, this seems like a good opportunity to say thanks for your contributions here. You (and many others on this forum) have certainly helped move my story forward.

• Like 2

I am shocked that a ren faire organizer would be a stickler for period accuracy. Most of the bawdy songs they sing are modern rugby songs. Vendors are selling steampunk jewelry. People are walking around eating smoked turkey legs.

Randy, I hope you will continue writing occasionally. I have greatly enjoyed the stories on your blog.