What is this concertina?

I ran across this auction listing, and am wondering what it might be. I'm accustomed to seeing auction listings that are ill-informed, but this one is oddly specific in its strangeness. It claims to be a 48-key (!!) Anglo in G/D. My best guess is that it might be a Jeffries-system duet of some kind?

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auction/lot/lot-21---thomas-shakespeare-48-key-anglo-concertina-in-d-and-g/?lot=296551&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=562&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=1&g=1

Edited by Owen Anderson

• Owen Anderson changed the title to What is this concertina?

It’s at my local saleroom so I might be able to take a look on viewing day on Tuesday. 
48 buttons does not rule out being an anglo, but I agree there are other possibilities.

I agree that Jeffries Duet seems likely but it would be very helpful to know for sure what system it is -- and of course how much work it needs to bring it to perfect condition.

I'm almost tempted to bid, just for the sake of finding out, as I did two years ago on the odd Lachenal

Is there anyone on here who lives near enough to go and have a look?

I have a pair of 6" 44 button Shakespere fret ends purportedly from an anglo.  The button pattern is an exact match for my Jeff duet.  After looking at examples of both on the internet I don't think the pattern is definitive.  I think the description is probably correct.

Edited by wunks
more info,

On 10/7/2022 at 7:56 AM, lachenal74693 said:

The most 'surprising' thing for me is the 'buyer's premium' -a whopping 30%. Is that 'normal'?

That includes VAT, their premium net of VAT is 25% which is not untypical.  For example, Gardiner & Houlgate who often auction concertinas charge 22% + VAT.  Then they also charge a fee to the seller. Nice work if you can get it.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, Owen Anderson said:

If it is a 48 key Anglo, what would the layout be? A third Richter row?

I'm not sure what you mean by a Richter row.  I've a 50 key Ab/Eb Anglo and the 4th row has a mixture of notes additional to those you might find on a 30 (or 38key) and some notes which are the same as on a smaller instrument but in opposite directions.  This would give options for playing more easily in different keys to the "home" keys, more chording possibilities and the ability to play in a more legato style

Always assuming you had the skill of course

2 hours ago, hjcjones said:

they also charge a fee to the seller.

I think all auction houses charge a sellers fee as well as a buyers premium.  That's why Barleycorn reckon that you might be better off selling to them than going through the auction house or ebay process

Alex West

2 hours ago, hjcjones said:

That includes VAT, their premium net of VAT is 25% which is not untypical.  For example, Gardiner & Houlgate who often auction concertinas charge 22% + VAT.  Then they also charge a fee to the seller. Nice work if you can get it.

Thanks! I very rarely buy stuff at auction. The last time (several years ago), the premium was 15% + VAT for a total of 18%. As you say, 'Nice work if you can get it.'!

Edited by lachenal74693