Concertinas and other instruments - which are the dream partners?

39 minutes ago, NickieLeah said:

I recently saw a pic of a concertina being played with an orchestra. i wish I could have heard it.

Or, Concerto for concertina & strings, Op. 44 composed by James Cohn ? I have a CD played by Wim Wakker, but I have never seen any pics or videos.

• 6 months later...

My wife and I play duets, me on a EC busker and her on Cello. very nice harmonics arise from this combination. We've also played with a friend (bodhrán). We also take a piano recording (my wife), use an IPAD and traynor battery powered amp to play background track. Using garageband, we sometimes add some combination strings, harp, bass guitar or various drumming tracks. We play folk, hymns, country and Western, scottish, irish tunes, pop and other music familiar to our audiences. Well received

Took up EC during covid...

Great retirement project!

• Like 1

This might be another one that's too basic to mention, but I've really enjoyed playing my C/G anglo with a friend on D/G melodeon. Compatible-but-not-identical tone quality, compatible-but-not-identical range, and having them on bass meant I could choose between octaves, chords, or single notes without leaving huge holes in the texture. 

(Or at least, it did in G. I'm convinced octaves and some amount of chording should be possible in D, but I still can't wrap my brain around them...)

I have my [ late] Father's button Hohner accordion in C sharp, which he used to often play, and I inherited it, of which it gets a good session now by my myself every few weeks.  This is middle range in tone to my Anglo concertina.  The accordion sounds good particularly in the middle to lower range of tone, in music to me, and the concertina has a wider range and is particularly clear in the higher range of notes sounds.  Recently, having acquired another 'reed' type instrument [ my wooden Chalumeau in C] it sounds good in lower range and has surprisingly deep tone for its size!  So, in a way I have now a sort of 'trio' of complimentary instruments that do actually sound together quite nicely in their different timbres of sound; [ low range - middle - and high].