Gilbertsville NY morris dancing

If you google search the above you will find some youtube clips and the facebook page of the Binghamton NY morris men.  They've been hosting events at the beautiful Major's Inn in Gilbertsville NY for many years.  There are some great photos of past doings and I can spot a couple of concertinas and a pipe and tabor among the melodeons although musicians are not well represented in the photos.  There is a fantastic poster from a few years back ...I don't know if it's been posted here, of a player in flight/rampant.  This has been billed as an international event.  I know there are some folks here from the Albany NY area and Canada etc..  Perhaps some of you are in these photos?  Because this is centrally located and as I'm collaborating with a friend on a musician's funding initiative in Central NY I wonder if there is Interaction among the Albany and Binghamton groups ( or others ). 

1 hour ago, wunks said:

I wonder if there is Interaction among the Albany and Binghamton groups ( or others ). 

I am a musician for the Pokingbrook Morris Dancers, currently the only Morris team within 50 miles of Albany. We cross paths regularly with the Binghamton Morris Men at a yearly (but not since the pandemic) weekend camping and touring event in June called the Sudz (various spellings) in Falls Village, CT. We have not toured with the BMM outside of this event. We have a closer relationship with the Syracuse teams, the Thornden Morris Women and the Bassett Street Hounds, with whom we occasionally visit here or there to tour and share dances.

That's great David.  Our first joint venue will be a Harvest Home contra dance here in Springfield Center at the lovely St. Mary's parish house.  No concertinas yet I'm afraid....soon though 😃  I have your Email and I'll fill you in as to our funding venture.  

This is a topic close to my heart............I have been attending this wonderful event for 20years or more as the Toronto Morris men musician.

For the past few years the attendees have pretty much been confined to the hosts, Bowery Boys, Newtown MM and Toronto MM.

There are concertinas around. However my experience is the the dancers prefer a melodeon ( button accordion) to dance to..............it is a louder and richer sound. I've attached a video of us dancing at a very noisy event some years ago. I am the melodeon player here.............and anglos gets very lost.

The dance we are doing is the Binghamton stick dance and the tune is a Cuckoo's Nest variant.

Attached is a Gilbertsville poster, the iconic image of William Kimber dancing

.Binghampton stick dance

M1.jpg

• Like 2