Wheatstone Aeola extended treble tortoise shell 56 button English concertina serial no. 35692

johnneenah

Wheatstone Aeola extended treble tortoise shell 56 button English concertina serial no. 35692.  This serial number places the date of manufacture to 1950.  The original Wheatstone ledger page that describes it is included in the photos.

I purchased it in 1982 from Lark in the Morninig.  It's in very good condition - the in reed for high D is stuck, all the other reeds and buttons work fine. There is minor wear visible, most on the right thumb leather.  The ends and bellows are all in excellent condition, no leaks.  It has a Wheatstone leather case but I don't know if it is the original case for this concertina - it has more wear that the concertina with original hinges replaced with leather and the carrying strap replaced before I bought it.

I can't play anymore because of arthritis in my hands and I've been keeping it for sentimental reasons, but now I need to sell.

P3130003.JPG

P3130010.JPG

P3130009.JPG

P3130013.JPG

Wheatstone_Tortoiseshell_Concertina.jpg

P3130014.JPG

P3130016.JPG

P3130017.JPG

Hi  Johnneenah,

I  love  the look  of  your  concertina  but , am I  right  in thinking  you have  been trying to sell  this  56k Aeola  for  the last  12  years  ?  If  so, have  you  been able  to  verify  if  the  ends  are  real  tortoise shell  or  an  imitation  material ?

Hi Geoff,

I had put it on concertina.net 10 or 12 years ago but didn't receive an offer that I wanted so I put the concertina on the shelf and haven't played it at all because of my arthritis.  I don't really know for sure if it's real tortoise but I suspect it is.  I'm willing to sell it for a bargain price since  I'm retired and on social security, needing money.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Ok,

my  thoughts  are  that  a  1950  Aeola  would  usually sell for  far less than  a  'top  period'   era  model  for  reasons  of  quality of  materials, ,  production  short cuts  and  craftsmanship  used at  that time,  unfortunately.  So  finding  a sensible  sale price  between  the   kudos  of  its  looks  and  its  playing  qualities   can  be  difficult  and  making  an offer  without  first   trying  the instrument  even  harder.

So,  perhaps  you  might  send  me  a personal  message  with  your  'bargan price'  and  I  will think about a safe way  to  transport  the  instrument  to  Europe.

Geoff.

Interesting  reading  from  the  CITES  people  and  thanks  for  providing  the  links  Steve and Dave.

So,  reading  between the lines   and  speculating  a little , the  CITES  info  suggests  that  some  imitation  tortoiseshell  is  quite  flamable.  Note  also   the  warning  lable  inside  the  lid  ( sixth  photo )  of  Johnneenah's  post.  Is  this  a  "danger  inflamable  product"    statement  from  Wheatstone  ?  Might  we  assume  the  end plate  coverings of  this  concertina  are imitation ?

For those interested in the status of Cites and tortoise shell concertina, Cites allows the international shipping of Hawksbill Tourtoise Shell products, as long as the production date is earlier than the listing date of the product in Appendix 1 of the Cities document. In the case of Tortiose Shell, the date is April 2, 1977.

Fortunately for us, the date of production is effectively stamped on the instrument itself, suggesting that the reception of a Cites permit should be relatively straightforward...

Stephen,

Yes - I think we are all trying to save the planet.  I certainly do what I can.  However, there is a big difference between transporting endangered products produced 70 years ago, and killing a Hawksbill Tortoise today for its shell.  In the former case, nothing can be done. The latter case is a crime against the Earth.

What is important is the separation of the one from the other. Cites understands this, which is why one must prove provenance and age in order to allow transport of endangered items.

My only reason for comment was to note that we can usually prove the provenance and age of a concertina, and in doing so can attest that an live endangered animal was not recently killed to produce the instrument.

Edited by Ed Stander
Added comment
  • Like 2

Ed, It is with out doubt a conundrum. Do we let an instrument sit on the shelf, or should it be allowed to be in the hands of someone who can at least not confine it to obsolescence. The CITES dates are in place, and the protocols should be followed, but that doesn't mean the practice's before they were put in place was any less harmful. We have to individually weigh our ethical decisions.  We may be having this same discussions about Ebony or other woods in the near future, some are already listed in CITES. Continuing dialogue keeps us mindful of our responsibilities.

Once the instrument had been built, with or without the sacrifice of a member of a species that, at the time, may or may not have been endangered, transfer between owners, in the same or different countries, many years later, can have no more impact on that species. On the other hand, as a general principle (with exceptions) musical instruments should be played, not left on shelves.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...