Wheatstone treble and Lachenal New Model--sold

lilypads

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Rhode Island, US. I am writing to let you know of two fine English concertinas I am putting up for sale. Would much rather they go to members of this esteemed group, before I advertise them elsewhere. I know they are not unique or particularly rare, being standard trebles with 5 bellows, but they are really nice instruments.

1)  Wheatstone 48 button English treble, restored by Wim Wakker four years ago. Five bellows, metal buttons, Ebony wood ends in good condition. One chip in the vicinity of one screw, all fretwork in very good condition. Steel reeds. Bellows leather is in great condition. One button, the R hand high F#, on pull, note is feeble and off pitch. All other notes seem strong. It is a very sweet sounding instrument, and a lot of fun to play. Wheatstone badge has some tarnish, but all printing is legible on close inspection. One thing: I cannot find a serial number anywhere! I am waiting to hear from Wim Wakker about this , to see if he has any record of serial #, since he worked on it. I strongly believe it to be from the early 20th century.    If you would like images of this instrument and/or to discuss acquiring it, please email me at lilypadsmusic@gmail.com    Thank you, David 

2)  Lachenal New Model 48 button English treble, purchased from a fine Welsh gentleman approximately 12 years ago. This one is a real beauty. Really nice metal ends with  fretwork in great condition. 5 bellows with leather unblemished. Instrument has air release levers. Each note plays well on push and pull. Serial number is 44721. Badge is missing.  Interesting note: The leather is embossed   "J.Peake   Sunderland 2401"      Peake was apparently a well-known dealer of musical instruments back in the day, and I've seen descriptions of a number of concertinas bearing this same kind of embossing. If you would like to see images of this instrument and/or to discuss acquiring it, please email me at lilypadsmusic@gmail.com    Thank you,  David

Here is an album for the Wheatstone

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FsV9SM2aLQdJoJUp7

Thank you for viewing this. Best wishes and peace to all

Wheatstone48 black.jpg

Lachenal.jpg

Edited by lilypads
update
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, lilypads said:

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Rhode Island, US. I am writing to let you know of two fine English concertinas I am putting up for sale. Would much rather they go to members of this esteemed group, before I advertise them elsewhere. I know they are not unique or particularly rare, being standard trebles with 5 bellows, but they are really nice instruments.

1)  Wheatstone 48 button English treble, restored by Wim Wakker four years ago. Five bellows, metal buttons, Ebony wood ends in good condition. One chip in the vicinity of one screw, all fretwork in very good condition. Steel reeds. Bellows leather is in great condition. One button, the R hand high F#, on pull, note is feeble and off pitch. All other notes seem strong. It is a very sweet sounding instrument, and a lot of fun to play. Wheatstone badge has some tarnish, but all printing is legible on close inspection. One thing: I cannot find a serial number anywhere! I am waiting to hear from Wim Wakker about this , to see if he has any record of serial #, since he worked on it. I strongly believe it to be from the early 20th century.    If you would like images of this instrument and/or to discuss acquiring it, please email me at lilypadsmusic@gmail.com    Thank you, David 

2)  Lachenal New Model 48 button English treble, purchased from a fine Welsh gentleman approximately 12 years ago. This one is a real beauty. Really nice metal ends with  fretwork in great condition. 5 bellows with leather unblemished. Instrument has air release levers. Each note plays well on push and pull. Serial number is 44721. Badge is missing.  Interesting note: The leather is embossed   "J.Peake   Sunderland 2401"      Peake was apparently a well-known dealer of musical instruments back in the day, and I've seen descriptions of a number of concertinas bearing this same kind of embossing. If you would like to see images of this instrument and/or to discuss acquiring it, please email me at lilypadsmusic@gmail.com    Thank you,  David

Thank you for viewing this. Best wishes and peace to all

Wheatstone48 black.jpg

Lachenal.jpg

The Wheatstone treble looks just like mine! It was built between 1901 and 1904.  I found the serial number inside the left side.

Hi, I'm looking to buy an English Concertina. I'm in the US; I'm on the east coast. Lillypads posted a listing, Is that still for sale? I'm looking for one with metal buttons. Please let me know the serial number, as I understand that gives a clue to the date and manufacturing details. 48 buttons would be wonderful. I do not want a student model (there seem to be a lot of those our there) Tricia

Hi all,

I found the serial number on the Wheatstone, it's 23760. I don't find anything associated with that number in the Wayne Archives, so I guess I can only date it approximately. I have an offer on it as of today. The Lachenal New Model is still available, priced at 2700 USD. Thanks!

• Like 1

• lilypads changed the title to Wheatstone treble and Lachenal New Model--sold