World Concertina Day 2023!

On 2/5/2023 at 2:29 AM, Takayuki YAGI said:

I added the another link to the tune to the comment above, I hope it will work for you. If not, I will try youtube later.

Thank you for letting me know. Yes that was the same tune as Brendan's Fancy.

If you put it on YouTube I can add it to the WCD 2023 playlist on the ICA YouTube channel.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

On 1/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, gcarrere said:

Hello everybody! I just give you a link to my concertina video, my humble contribution to the WCD! It will appear only on the D day, 6th february, on my YouTube channel:  https://youtu.be/pvoD-gN6uPg

Gilbert's very nice video is now available for viewing:

Edited by Daniel Hersh
  • Like 6

On 1/3/2023 at 11:58 PM, Alan Day said:

I wondered if players Worldwide of all Nationalities would join me by saying HALLO What instrument you play and possibly send in a recording of your playing. There are many players that are out there silent on this site . Just for World Concertina Day 2023 let us hear from you. 

Al.

HALLO!

I not a performer and play mostly to myself, for my own pleasure. My instrument is an English extended treble Wheatstone Aeola (nr. 30848, from 1926)  

I became a member on C.net in december 2005, when I was waiting for my first concertina to arrive from Chris Algar. I've seen them come and go (Ratface, Boney, Peter Dunk, Peter Trimming, M3838, Dick Miles, Geoffrey Crabb, and all the others) and enjoyed (and borrowed) their tunes and conversations about music and concertinas. Sometimes I joined in with the conversations, but I never have shown any of my own music.

I felt invited by Alan's  request. So I joined in on the Tunes/Songs forum and learned, recorded and uploaded my rendition of the Croissants and Coffee Waltz.

I hadn't recorded myself for a long time. But here is another recording of mine, from 2011: a Swedish tune "Mormors Speldosa" by Göthe Wahlén.

https://on.soundcloud.com/Hp6Ca

• Like 5

Our North Antrim folk group, Scad the Beggars, spent a most enjoyable morning today, playing for the Ballymoney U3A group, Co. Antrim Northern Ireland.

This gave me another opportunity to give a little belated mention of World Concertina Day & of course promote the instrument.

After the wee concert a lady approached me & told me she used to play the Accordion, but wasn't able to any more. However, someone had left her a Concertina in their will & although she didn't know whether it was an Anglo or English, she was keen to get some lessons & start playing it, so happily she will be joining my wee mixed instrument class here in town, next week. 😎

3a.concert.ballymoney.7.jpg

3a.concert.ballymoney.4.jpg

3a.concert.ballymoney.5.jpg

3a.concert.ballymoney.6.jpg

3a.concert.ballymoney.8.jpg

• Like 7

I'm afraid I don't do recordings or videos, but to mark World Concertina Day I went along to our local tune session as usual, but after a while my box had a 'mechanical' so I had to abort early.

At home the next morning I took it apart to find that a pad had dropped off the end of its lever.  So I've glued it back on and it seems to be OK now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 4:16 PM, Ptarmigan said:

"After the wee concert a lady approached me & told me she used to play the Accordion, but wasn't able to any more. However, someone had left her a Concertina in their will & although she didn't know whether it was an Anglo or English, she was keen to get some lessons & start playing it, so happily she will be joining my wee mixed instrument class here in town, next week." 😎

Well, the lady did arrive at my class the following week, but instead of her inherited Concertina being a valuable Wheatstone or Jeffries ... as you can see, it was a slightly less valuable instrument, but it'll get her started anyway & she went home that day happily playing Twinkle Twinkle in two different keys. 😀

Cheers,

Dick

HOHNER.CONCERTINA.jpg

Edited by Ptarmigan
italics
  • Sad 1