World Concertina Day 2023!

Hello,

Here's a tune for World Concertina Day. The Six O'Clock Hornpipe

Played on an Andrew Norman 37-button, G/D Black Jubilee anglo.

The tune is by John Ritchie about 1986. John was violinist for The Beaux of London City (amongst other things). The 200 or so handwritten tunes I have from him range from simple jigs, reels, hornpipes, waltzes to more difficult and convoluted airs and even rags.

• Like 6

Happy World Concertina Day 😎

I recorded this Irish Hornpipe on my own Wheatstone Concertina last night ~ The Bank of Turf, which I believe old John Kelly sometimes called The Concertina Hornpipe.

Cheers,

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ptarmigan said:

I believe old John Kelly sometimes called The Concertina Hornpipe.

Yes indeed. In the compilation CD "Farewell to Lissycasey" the late John Kelly senior played under that name. And I just noticed that there is another name for this tune "The Blacksmith's Charm".

http://johnkellycapelstreet.ie/project/the-blacksmiths-charm/

On 2/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, Takayuki YAGI said:

To celebrate world concertina day, I played another tune called "Concertina Hornpipe" which I learned from John Joe Casey CD long time ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoRrBPquj4n/

That's a pity. I can't listen to your recording as I don't own a smart phone, so I can't access it.

Did you post it anywhere else?

I'm guessing it's this one, also known as Brendan's Fancy:

Brendan’s Fancy

Cheers,

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

9 minutes ago, Ptarmigan said:

Did you post it anywhere else?

I'm guessing it's this one, also known as Brendan's Fancy:

Brendan’s Fancy

I added the another link to the tune to the comment above, I hope it will work for you. If not, I will try youtube later.

Thank you for letting me know. Yes that was the same tune as Brendan's Fancy.

21 minutes ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

Yes indeed. In the compilation CD "Farewell to Lissycasey" the late John Kelly senior played under that name. And I just noticed that there is another name for this tune "The Blacksmith's Charm".

http://johnkellycapelstreet.ie/project/the-blacksmiths-charm/

Yes, that's the one.

I was lucky enough to spend a week in old John's Fiddle class at the Willie Clancy week, back in the late 70s.

Here he is that year, with Bobby Casey & all the Fiddle students that year.

Bobby actually spent the week helping John in his class that week & it was such a pleasure hearing them play together. ( Photo, I believe was taken by John Kelly junior )

That's me, just behind John's left shoulder ... like most blokes back then - Big Hair & Beard. 😀 .. I still have the Beard. 😉

As for this Hornpipe, I actually really liked Sean Keane's brilliant version of it, so my playing of it is closer to his.

For my money, Fiddle playing just doesn't get any better than this - Sean Keane ~ The Bank of Turf

Cheers,

Dick

willie.week.john.kelly.bobby.casey.dick.g.jpg

Edited by Ptarmigan

4 minutes ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

I added the another link to the tune to the comment above, I hope it will work for you. If not, I will try youtube later.

Thank you for letting me know. Yes that was the same tune as Brendan's Fancy.

Ah that's great, many thanks for the new link. 😎

Yes, another lovely tune, well played.

It's not one I play, but given the date I might just have a go at learning that one today. 

Cheers,

Dick

On 2/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, Takayuki YAGI said:

To celebrate world concertina day, I played another tune called "Concertina Hornpipe" which I learned from John Joe Casey CD long time ago.

Hi Takayuki, as promised, I had a go at learning & recording that other Concertina Hornpipe ( Brendan's Fancy ) this afternoon. 🙂

Cheers,

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan
  • Like 3

Last year I wasn't ready to participate. This year I'm still not really ready as well, but hey, you only live once :D So here are my offerings. Those are first recordings made with my big box and first recordings after my 4 year break and re-learning everything pretty much from scratch. Playing concertinas is not like riding a bike at all :D

The first one is a great tune I fell love in after listening to the performance of Luis Villegas on Bandoneon. It sqeezes nearly entire range out of my big box, and more (there is only E6 left out on the high end and my box is short of D2 on the low end).

The second one is old but gold Roslin Castle, played as low as possible. However, despite my best efforts this recording doesn't do justice to those bass notes.

Both recordings are ways from being perfect, both on my side and technical side, but I hope you'll enjoy them anyway :)

• Like 8

Happy World Concertina Day, everyone!  The WCD 2023 international video concert is now available for viewing: 

Part one: Alistair Anderson, President of the International Concertina Association; Jon Boden; Daisuke Fujiwara and Claudio; Randy Stein; Francis Wilkins and Ronan Martin; Claudio Constantini; Andrew Norman and Moira Bracknell; Ricardo Teruel; Tim Laycock

Part two: Damien Barber; Thomas Restoin; Miyuki Miura; David Barnert; Harry Scurfield; Douglas Rogers; Tristan White, Millicent White and Steve Wilson; Luke Hillman; Dappers Delight – Adrian Brown and Susanna Borsch; Holger Ross Lauritsen; Steve Turner 

• Like 2