World Concertina Day 2023!

The second annual World Concertina Day, sponsored once again by the International Concertina Association, will be on February 6, 2023, the anniversary of the birth of Sir Charles Wheatstone. Since that date falls on a Monday, the ICA also welcomes activities on the weekend before that (February 4 and 5). 

We're hoping that everyone with an interest in the concertina will participate by organizing or taking part in an event in your local area or online, on February 6, 2023 or on a nearby date.  

Some ideas:

• Gatherings of concertina players
  • In-person or online public concert performances by concertina groups or individual performers.  Online events could be pre-recorded and posted online on the day
  • Events such as “concertina flash mobs” that lend themselves to social media publicity and local media interest
  • Live workshop events featuring concertinas
  • Local or national radio/TV interviews by concertina people
  • Display or demonstration of the concertina at your local museum, library or community center
  • Sharing a recording of yourself or telling your social media friends about your interest in the concertina
  • ….or anything else you can think of!  You can see a list of events from the first World Concertina Day here

We would be happy to use ICA’s communication channels to help you publicize your event.  We can also provide a World Concertina Day logo to use in your event publicity.  However, please note that the ICA cannot provide funding for your event or accept liability in connection with it.

If you would like to take part, have ideas, or would like to discuss any aspect of World Concertina Day, feel free to comment here or to contact ICA's World Concertina Day team at WCD@concertina.org.  More info about World Concertina Day is at https://concertina.org/world-concertina-day-2023 .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 4:24 PM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

How about a special new tune written for world concertina day 2023 ?

I could write one, and then everyone could have a go at playing it!!!?

Something everyone could play, with a good melody to it!🌝🌝🌝🌝🌝🌝

Hi, Simon--

Alan Day did this for WCD 2022 with his tune March of the Concertinas.  More info here:

• 3 months later...

Now just five weeks away, on Monday February 6!  WCD 2023 merchandise is now available for purchase in the UK at https://www.mudchutney.co.uk/collections/world-concertina-day-2023 and in the US at https://mudchutney.com/collections/world-concertina-day-2023-merchandise .  Events are planned in the UK, the US and Australia - see https://concertina.org/world-concertina-day-2023 .  If you're planning something, let us know!  Some possibilities are listed in my earlier message below.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:25 PM, Daniel Hersh said:

The second annual World Concertina Day, sponsored once again by the International Concertina Association, will be on February 6, 2023, the anniversary of the birth of Sir Charles Wheatstone. Since that date falls on a Monday, the ICA also welcomes activities on the weekend before that (February 4 and 5). 

We're hoping that everyone with an interest in the concertina will participate by organizing or taking part in an event in your local area or online, on February 6, 2023 or on a nearby date.  

Some ideas:

• Gatherings of concertina players
  • In-person or online public concert performances by concertina groups or individual performers.  Online events could be pre-recorded and posted online on the day
  • Events such as “concertina flash mobs” that lend themselves to social media publicity and local media interest
  • Live workshop events featuring concertinas
  • Local or national radio/TV interviews by concertina people
  • Display or demonstration of the concertina at your local museum, library or community center
  • Sharing a recording of yourself or telling your social media friends about your interest in the concertina
  • ….or anything else you can think of!  You can see a list of events from the first World Concertina Day here

We would be happy to use ICA’s communication channels to help you publicize your event.  We can also provide a World Concertina Day logo to use in your event publicity.  However, please note that the ICA cannot provide funding for your event or accept liability in connection with it.

If you would like to take part, have ideas, or would like to discuss any aspect of World Concertina Day, feel free to comment here or to contact ICA's World Concertina Day team at WCD@concertina.org.  More info about World Concertina Day is at https://concertina.org/world-concertina-day-2023 .

Edited by Daniel Hersh

I wondered if players Worldwide of all Nationalities would join me by saying HALLO What instrument you play and possibly send in a recording of your playing. There are many players that are out there silent on this site . Just for World Concertina Day 2023 let us hear from you. 

Al.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Alan Day said:

I wondered if players Worldwide of all Nationalities would join me by saying HALLO What instrument you play and possibly send in a recording of your playing. There are many players that are out there silent on this site . Just for World Concertina Day 2023 let us hear from you. 

Al.

I suspect that most of the players who don't post here don't come here at all, so won't see that request.

6 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I suspect that most of the players who don't post here don't come here at all, so won't see that request.

Hallo Richard I was not thinking of restricting the messages/ recordings to one site ,It will be interesting to see if we get a response. You never know with these things. There are two ICA sites for example and FB,

Al

6 minutes ago, Mike Franch said:

When I click on https://mudchutney.com/collections/world-concertina-day-2023-merchandise  it takes me right back to the original post. Am I doing something wrong?

I see that if I click on the UK link, it offers an easy redirect to the US.

Thanks for catching that.  The error was mine - it should be fixed now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

The world might be bigger than you think.

At this very moment, under "Who's on line", there are 4 members but also 48 guests!

And for myself I am a daily visitor here and member since 2005. Every now and then I give my reaction to posts of others, but never showed much of myself.

I do feel invited by Alan's initiative. I'll try to record some of my music to say hello for the 2nd WCD.

• Like 2

May I suggest to open a dedicated (possibly sticky) thread for those intro videos and take administrative precautions to prevent that thread from being contaminated with chit-chat?? This one is already cluttered up with meta discussions (which is good and useful but...)

Alan's idea is good, yet I foresee the initiative to go down side issues road as happens all too frequently, and for that thread it would be a pity if that happened.

Just my 0.02 (pick your currency 😉).

On 1/5/2023 at 7:32 AM, RAc said:

May I suggest to open a dedicated (possibly sticky) thread for those intro videos and take administrative precautions to prevent that thread from being contaminated with chit-chat?? This one is already cluttered up with meta discussions (which is good and useful but...)

Alan's idea is good, yet I foresee the initiative to go down side issues road as happens all too frequently, and for that thread it would be a pity if that happened.

Just my 0.02 (pick your currency 😉).

Policing a thread to ensure it contains only posted recordings and nothing requires a significant effort from your administrators. The only "administrative precaution" I can come up with is for Paul and me to moderate and approve every single post in that thread after an unknown and variable delay. My guess is some people will avoid such a process and start their own thread, as they are welcome to do.

Another approach any one member could curate themselves (feel free!) would be to follow the model of the "Current makes of concertina" thread: Edit current links to each recording into the first post and let everyone add posts to the thread as they wish. That is how a community like this tends to function - people read/hear something and immediately think of, and want to post, a response. We're happy to have them do so.

Ken

On 1/3/2023 at 10:58 PM, Alan Day said:

Al.

Hello Alan and concertina players everywhere. I have not created a video for the occasion, but I do have a sound file of my current "party piece".It is called Geaftai Bhaile Bui, a slow air from Ireland. I'm told it means the gates of Bally Bay, but I will not testify to the accuracy of the translation.

I tried uploading it here but the file size is too large, so I have added it to my Soundcloud account, and linked it here.

Edited to add: Played on Wheatstone Aeola tenor English concertina.

Hope this is OK.

John Wild

Edited by John Wild
Ading information.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1