David Coffin video's

doodle

Just a passing enquiry from an anglo player about a non-anglo instrument - I much admire David Coffin's instrument (and his playing and voice, of course).  Wondered what make of instrument.and system he uses.  Lovely organ-like tone.

13 hours ago, alex_holden said:

He more often seems to play a fairly large wooden-ended eight-sided English

I am guessing a Wakker E-1 Baritone - with several extra bellows folds.  Whatever it is, it fits hits his voice perfectly.  That low drone!

Edited by Don Taylor

On 9/11/2022 at 3:04 PM, Don Taylor said:

I am guessing a Wakker E-1 Baritone - with several extra bellows folds.  Whatever it is, it fits hits his voice perfectly.  That low drone!

I was wrong about that.  In answer to a question in the "Comments" in another of his videos, Spanish Ladies, he says that it is a 1912 Wheatstone baritone-treble with Amboyna ends.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:22 PM, David Barnert said:

Don’t know the guy, never heard him play...

How about that?! It turns out I have met him, but in a non-concertina related context.

At the upcoming NorthEast Squeeze-In, I am presenting a workshop on using an iPad as a music stand/music library. It is a topic I was introduced to at the Boston Early Music Festival in 2013, when Peter Sykes gave a talk on it. So in preparing my notes, I reviewed the notes I took at that event and found the name David Coffin, who also gave a talk at the same session (Modern Technology for Early Music) about his app, Ace Recorder.

750x750bb.jpeg

As can be seen in the photo, it’s clearly the same David Coffin. I remember speaking with him briefly after his presentation. If this thread had not been current at the same time I was reviewing my notes from nine years ago, I would never have been aware of the coincidence.

• 2 months later...

Interesting to see that he  isn't as well known to  folks on here. 

Speaking as someone who great up in New England, I feel like I have been singing with or listening to David Coffin my whole life going back to when I was in the Revels children's chorus in Cambridge  the 1980s, but also from all  the various river sings, and other concerts and events that he has hosted over the years.  

Fair to say that through his singing and playing he has exposed generations of  New Englanders, to these musical traditions,  and if you ever get a chance to go to see him perform at the Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport MA with the amazing window behind the stage overlooking the bay you will not regret it, as you can see from those videos that were posted here, it's a pretty spectacular space.