Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne Anglo Tutor

gcoover

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

Randy's version (the Matueswitch version) is in 6/8 time.

And, as Gary pointed out, so is the original manuscript:

Stille_nacht.jpg

6/8 and 3/4 are both perfectly appropriate ways to notate the tune, but they require different note values, and in the example in the picture they were mixed: a 3/4 time signature on a 6/8 score.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 12:00 AM, gcoover said:

Yes, it's for the Wheatstone/Lachenal layout since that is by far the most common 30-button Anglo available. The lefthand notes will be exactly the same, but for the accidentals on the right you will need to "adapt and overcome". Which is something most Anglo players should be very used to doing!

I think Jeffries players will still be able to get a lot of use out of Cohen's tutor, especially on the accompaniment side, but would love to hear how Jeffries players fare with the righthand side.

Gary

Just got my copy, play a G/D with Jefferies layout (very inexpertly). Initial reaction is that there are a lot of useful tips in this Tutor, but currently spending far too long trying to adapt things. 

As opposed to adapting or translating, maybe just try to work from the numbers while treating the notes only as timing indicators?

Most professional Anglo players who play in the harmonic style think in terms of patterns as opposed to written notes.

Hope this helps!

Gary

P.S. Maybe there will be a G/D tutor someday - I've reached out to various players...

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

As opposed to adapting or translating, maybe just try to work from the numbers while treating the notes only as timing indicators?

I was thinking this initially too, but then noticed the word "Jefferies". I've had good luck doing what you describe with my G/D, but I've got a Wheatstone layout, so everything translates without modification.

That said, it should generally only be the top note that differs and then only notes in the top/outer row of the right hand (i.e. if you see an "#a" above the staff). As long as the note is available in the same bellows direction, the modifications shouldn't be too severe.

2 hours ago, John Mcspreader said:

I’ve just received my copy of Cohens Paperback which is excellent but wish there was a spiral back version as impossible to keep open unless pinned back onto a music stand .

You can get books affordably rebound with a spiral binding at most print shops. I've had it done at Staples. I agree that it's a necessity for music books, and all of my Gary Coover books have been rebound.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Mcspreader said:

I’ve just received my copy of Cohens Paperback which is excellent but wish there was a spiral back version as impossible to keep open unless pinned back onto a music stand .

Maybe email Cohen (cohen@cohenbk.com) and suggest he produces it coil bound through Lulu.com like my Paul Hardy tunebooks (https://pghardy.net/tunebooks/). See https://www.lulu.com/products and scroll down to bindings section.

• Like 1