Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne Anglo Tutor

gcoover

Just now published - a new tutor for the 30-button C/G Anglo concertina by the amazing virtuoso Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne: Anglo Concertina from Beginner to Master, published by Rollston Press.

Cohen teaches how to play different keys, modes, ornamentations, and a variety of styles of accompaniment in the harmonic style. Multiple exercises teach simple tunes in the home keys all the way up to complex baroque arrangements by Westhoff and Telemann.

All 72 tunes and exercises are shown with the same simple easy-to-use tablature system with standard musical notation that's used in all the Rollston Press books, and each selection includes a Button Map showing which buttons are required to play the tune.

The book is divided into chapters with each chapter based around a different theme or style of concertina playing. Each tune has been assigned an ability level from one to seven.

AND.... every tune includes a QR code link to a video of Cohen playing the tune. 

The list price is 20 GBP, 25 USD, 24 Euros. Available from Cohen and through Amazon, and very likely through other retailers like Red Cow Music in the UK.

The Table of Contents is attached, along with a sample page.

This is the most thorough and exciting tutor for the Anglo to be published in years. Working through all these tunes will not be easy, but thanks to the expert teaching of Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne it will quickly develop and elevate your playing skills (I know I've learned a lot from it already). 

Gary

Cotillon-CBK-EXCERPT.pdf CBK-TOC.pdf

Cover-CBK-3.jpg

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 7

Can't tell from the tablature and dots of the example if the layout is Wheatstone or Jeffries. Transposing the C/G videos for my G/D concertinas would not be an issue but having to translate Wheatstone tablature for my Jeffries layout instruments would make the book less useful for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's for the Wheatstone/Lachenal layout since that is by far the most common 30-button Anglo available. The lefthand notes will be exactly the same, but for the accidentals on the right you will need to "adapt and overcome". Which is something most Anglo players should be very used to doing!

I think Jeffries players will still be able to get a lot of use out of Cohen's tutor, especially on the accompaniment side, but would love to hear how Jeffries players fare with the righthand side.

Gary

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my copy through a friend who lives in Japan, since the amazon don’t ship books to China (or China don’t allow amazon to?) It cost me US$50 with shipping from Japan included. I got the John Kirkpatrick book exactly the same way last year. Hoping there will be an easier and cheaper way to get Rollston Press books in China🥺

Edited by Yuxin Ding
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Owen Anderson said:

Any chance of a Kindle version? 😉

Now available in Kindle! 

As for Dongbei availability, wish I could help with that, I see amazon.cn doesn't carry any concertina books. Some places on the internet say Amazon does ship to China, so maybe one could try entering a Chinese address? Next time I'm in Tieling I'll bring some with me!

Gary

• Like 1