Madrigal - Since First I Saw Your Face (1607)

gcoover

Here's a sneak preview of a lovely harmonic-style Anglo tune from the upcoming book, The Anglo Concertina Music of Phil Ham.

Although Phil is known mostly for Morris tunes, especially from little-known traditions like Ascot-under-Wychwood, he has also worked up classical, sea songs, Geordie songs, and madrigals like this one by Thomas Ford (1580-1648) titled "Since First I Saw Your Face", first published in 1607.

He's 92-years-old and still going strong, and I'm really looking forward to meeting up with him next week to preview a preliminary test print of the book. It will be a high point of a 2-week 1000-mile concertinistic mad dash across the length and breadth of the English countryside, powered no doubt by good tunes and pints of best! 

Gary

Since-First-I-Saw-Your-Face-PH-ANGLO.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 3

Sorry, my friend, but this is a note-for-note transcription of Phil's playing and I don't put in the chords unless I know what all of them are. I can tell you it starts out with C, Am, and G, and the B-part starts with D7 and then has a G and some C's. But with luck you might come up with something totally different!

Gary

I enjoyed that performance, and even more so, because it was a tune I played a lot when I got my first concertina (20 key Anglo).. and the 30 key model..later on. Such a timeless melody, and suits concertinas very well. A lot of Elizabethan stuff seems to work very well on free reed instruments.