Wheatstone S/N 1046 with some interesting writing inside...

David Helmore

Hi all

Thought this might of interest to some. This Wheatstone (number 1046) belongs to Chris Rowe and when I took it apart yesterday I almost missed this tiny writing on the left hand reed pan. What I think it says is '(reed) tongues fitted and voiced by Mr Saunders' - would be interested to see if you think it reads the same?

I looked up the Wheatstone pay books covering 1845 and saw that there is a Mr Saunders listed - interesting to see that he was potentially doing some of the reed work at that time...

IMG_4517.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

5 hours ago, David Helmore said:

What I think it says is '(reed) tongues fitted and voiced by Mr Saunders' - would be interested to see if you think it reads the same?

I looked up the Wheatstone pay books covering 1845 and saw that there is a Mr Saunders listed - interesting to see that he was potentially doing some of the reed work at that time...

That's very interesting David, Ballinger & Saunders were later the partners who owned Lachenal's...

The word you name as "voiced" has a long upward stroke for the 3rd letter, which a dotted i would not.

It may be a characteristic of the individual writing. However, my visual impression is that the word is "reduced", though I do not know what that would mean in this context.

Edited by John Wild
Typing error

18 minutes ago, Stephen Chambers said:

That would make total sense John, they'd be "fitted" to vibrate freely through the slots, then "reduced" by filing them to profile to play the right note.

Very succinctly put Stephen.

However, depending on the maker, 'Reducing' or 'Voicing' were both terms used for the second process.

Totally irrelevant but the name 'Saunders' was  pronounced 'Sarnders'

The attachment may be of interest.  Lachenal Crabb (4).pdf

Following the closure of Lachenal in 1933, Charles Saunders, the youngest son of Thomas W Saunders, came to work for my father until his (Charles) death in 1938.

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Geoffrey Crabb said:

Very succinctly put Stephen.

Thanks Geoff!

However, depending on the maker, 'Reducing' or 'Voicing' were both terms used for the second process.

Yes, I'm also familiar with the term "voicing" as an alternative to "reducing" but, judging by what is written in this instrument, and Tommy Williams' use of the term, it would seem that "reducing" was how it was usually described at both Wheatstone's and Lachenal's.

Thanks everyone so much for your input - really appreciated. What makes this instrument also of interest as well is the fact that this was one of several concertinas purchased by 'Blagrove', which I'm assuming was Richard Blagrove who was influential in the very early days of concertina history. 

A special instrument that has revealed just some of its secrets.. : )

10 hours ago, David Helmore said:

What makes this instrument also of interest as well is the fact that this was one of several concertinas purchased by 'Blagrove', which I'm assuming was Richard Blagrove who was influential in the very early days of concertina history. 

Ahagh! It would make a fitting companion to my amboyna 48-key #649 then! That one was originally sold, on 18th April 1843, to Giulio Regondi.

• Like 1