Bb English, seeking.

Geoff Wooff

A year or so  back  I  came  up  with  a  couple  of good reasons  for  needing  an  English  where  the  reeds  were  tuned  one  whole tone  flater  than  normal.  The  search  for  a  Bb  tuned  EC  went on the  back burner  due  to  the  Pandemic  and   my  Carpal  Tunnel  syndrome.  Things are beginning to improve  on  both  fronts  so , yesterday  I  thought  of  a  third  purpose  for  such an instrument  and  now  I am looking  again.

Anyone  willing  to  sell or  know  where I might  find  one  ?

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Like 2

Stephen,  basically  the  same  idea  as  your  Northumbrian  sessions.  

The  French  dance band   my  wife and I  play  in  is  governed to  C  and G  by  the  other instruments,  Cornemuses  , Diatonic  accordéons and Hurdy Gurdies  etc.  This means  I  am playing  the EC  mostly  in C, which   during  a  Bal Folk  can  have  me  wishing  I  was playing  in D   to  spread the load  over  more fingers.

My  wife  tunes  her  fiddle  a  tone  flat  for  the  very  same  reason  of  fingering  familiarity  .  Then, as  happend  at  a party  last  weekend  someone  asks  if  we'd play  some  Irish  music.  This  would  have    herself  tuning  the fiddle  up  a tone... BUT  if  I also  carried  a  Bb EC  there would  be  no  problem  for  either of  us.

On  occasion  I  have  wanted to  join  an  Irish  C  session....  which  I  can manage  Ok  on  the  fly  IF  I  have  a  Tenor Treble... this  involves  playing  the  tunes an  octave lower  and  reversing  the  fingering  for  F  and F#  etc.  ,but   the  flow  of  fingering  is  disturbed.

So,  my  three reasons :   to  play  the  C and G  French  tunes  with  D  and A  fingering.  To  play  Irish  with  my  wife's  flat  tuned  fiddle  and  to  easily  join  an Irish  C  session  or  play  with  a 'Flat' Piper.

You are  a lucky man  buying  that  Bb  EC  from  Barleycorn.

• Like 1

Hello Geoff, If it is of use i have a Lachenal 36 key Bb from a salvation band I have fully sorted it ,it is in a square case, and it is a tenor range ,71/2" across . If it is of use there is a photo which shows the box in a recent set of boxes for sale.

Best Regards.

Mike

23 minutes ago, Mike Acott said:

Hello Geoff, If it is of use i have a Lachenal 36 key Bb from a salvation band I have fully sorted it ,it is in a square case, and it is a tenor range ,71/2" across . If it is of use there is a photo which shows the box in a recent set of boxes for sale.

Best Regards.

Mike

Thanks Mike  , 

I'll take a look

Geoff.