Concertina LPs or CDs

mandojoe

I'm a concertina "newbie", a category I expect to inhabit for at least a couple of years.  I recently came across a couple of wonderful LPs of Bertram Levy playing an anglo concertina.  I'm wondering if folks could suggest other concertina-centric LPs or CDs (hopefully findable for sale on discogs)?  While my own path is along MacCann lines, I'm open to all concertina albums.  Thanks!

Joe Bartl

JimR, I've located music by all three and will enjoy (and learn) from all of them. Thanks.

Maccannic, Thanks for the suggestion.  Ralph Jordan and "Eloise" seem to be entirely unavailable on the web.  I found Jordan's defunct site where the album is listed, but it is, well, defunct.  I'll keep an eye out but doubt I'll find an opportunity to hear this.  But thanks.

Joe Bartl

Try to find a copy of Tommy Williams' "Springtime in Battersea", all Maccann, and any Percy Honri recordings.

But these are very different from the Bertram Levy style of Anglo playing. For more like that, look for recordings with John Watcham, John Kirkpatrick, Brian Peters, Andy Turner, Jody Kruskal, Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne, and Adrian Brown.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

I  had  several  copies  of  Ralph Jordan's  Eloise CD  that  he gave  me  towards the  end of  its  sale  run.  His  idea  was  that  I might  come across someone  who  might  like     it.  I  have  just  checked  and  can  see  I  still have  two  new  copies  on the  shelf  so, if  anyone  is  really  stuck  to  find  it    I   am  happy  to  post  one , gratuit.

Thanks, folks.

I’m listening to Braithwaite-Kilcoyne, Leveret, and Dapper’s Delight on Spotify and will likely make some purchases.

Ralph Jordan’s “Eloise” is being sent to me by the very generous Geoff Wooff.

I’ve ordered a copy of Tommy Williams’ “Springtime in Battersea” from discogs.

Haven’t found any Percy Honri recordings (though there may be some 78s?) … however, there are videos on YouTube.

Will explore what I can find of John Watcham (Book only on Amazon, nothing on Spotify, 4 videos of music from his book on YouTube, seems to play on a number of albums on discogs, through he doesn’t seem to be front and center on any of them), John Kirkpatrick (lots of recordings on Amazon and Spotify), Brian Peters (seem to be many albums on discogs), Andy Turner (“Love Death and the Cossack” on Bandcamp, “Songs Of Thomas Hardy's Wessex” on discogs, “audinarymusic “ on Soundcloud, many Magpie Lane albums on Spotify and Amazon), Jody Kruskal (albums on Amazon and Spotify).

Ordered Patterson Jordan Dipper’s “Flat Earth” from discogs.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Joe Bartl

Thanks, Don  Taylor.  Neither in on US Amazon.  I've ordered from Amazon UK.  These look great!

Joe Bartl

Edit: Oh, right!  I should have noted in my previous message that "Amazon" refers only to US Amazon.  Didn't think of searching UK Amazon (duh!).

Edited by mandojoe

Takayuki YAGI, I would love to  buy the 6-CD Clare set as well as "Masters of the Concertina" but in order to checkout you have to login to your account.  When I try to establish an account I always end up getting a "403" error: "cannot connect to this site on this server".

Any solutioon to offer?

On 8/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, JimR said:

Search for Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne, Leveret, Dapper Delight, and the ones others recommend.

Please don't forget Gary Coover's playing for all his books on Youtube.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:28 PM, Takayuki YAGI said:

I believe the Custy's web site is working fine, but the problem is with free-reed.co.uk.

Please see this topic:

Please try PM Bill Crossland on this forum for availability. Hope that helps...

Hi Joe

These are still available from me, I have sent you a PM

Thanks, everyone.  Thanks to Mr. Yagi and Mr. Crossland, County Clare is on now its way to Adamstown, MD.

And thanks, JimR,  for the alert to Gary Coover's videos -- lots to listen to and enjoy!  Would be nice if he were playing a Maccann duet instead of an Anglo.  I have to say that as I've gotten deeper and deeper into the Br'ar rabbit of Concertinatopia, it seems that the most popular instrument is an Anglo ... more books, more recordings, more players.  I could be wrong about this as I haven't explored the German or Italian neighborhoods yet. 

Joe Bartl