Anglo- Right Hand Little Finger

The rows of buttons look to be curved. I am asking Frank to add to this discussion as he can answer questions better than I can. I've never held one or seen one. Just drooling over the idea. I definitely want one.

Helen

If Frank doesn't feel he should jump in I will give the layout for the 24 button. Up above I gave the accidentals.

Frank gave me the layout, and I have to say it's the most sensible (at least to me)layout I've EVER seen. Does away with a lot of the note duplicating, and, since all but 4 buttons are exactly the same and in the same order as the 20-button I currently have -- ta daaa!! less relearning!!! Y'all don't know how happy I am about that.

I double checked with my mother the retired music teacher and she assured me that this 24-button is, in fact, able to play every key.

I'm totally psyched. This is the best idea for an upgrade I've had so far, as it will be able to play all keys like an English, and at the same time I don't have to learn a totally new system AND it's closer to what I'm doing now than the 30-buttons would be.

I've asked Frank for a price sheet thingy, so I know how much to save up for, and I've also asked in the Edgley on Ebay topic for feedback from people who actually got to try it out at the NESI.

Helen, it should be easier for you to actually see one than it would be for me, since he's in Windsor...lucky you :( I hate to buy sight unseen, but I *may* have to make an exception. Either that or go pester my uncle and cousins in Flint for crash space for a weekend...but traveling will definitely cut into my concertina purchasing funds and my Noel Hill vacation days fund :(

Rhomylly,

I am glad you like the 24 button, I was sure that you would. I was going to a workshop by Frank but it was cancelled because he was going to the Squeeze In!

Yep, I'm saving too. For the 24 button, for Noel Hill, for Frank Edgley's workshop.

Fun, fun, fun.

Helen

Since the topic was brought up---

The instrument is intended to be very easy to play for several reasons.

1/ It has all the notes to play the melodies of any Irish (and many other) tunes.

2/ The most important notes for playing in G and D are in both directions (C#, F#).

3/ It also has the lower F# in both directions, as well as the other necessary accidentals.

4/ Very little "pinkie" playing is necessary, except for the little finger, left hand to play the lower F#. But as I get the idea, Rhomylly moves her fingers sideways to avoid the little finger. I've seen Jacqueline McCarthy do the same.

5/ Since the extra buttons are played by moving the index finger sideways, instead of reaching upwards to get the C#, it is as easy for a person with short fingers to play it as someone with hands as large as mine.

6/ The rows are curved to accomodate the natural lay of the fingers at rest.

Frank Edgley

Okay, I need a second job, lol. Need to talk to spouse (even though I'm the money manager of the family) but as soon as I can get the deposit together, I think I'll take the plunge and order...wow, a concertina made just for me!

Plus, as Helen said, saving up for a Noel Hill summer 2004 session...(how much are those, btw?)

Yes, I do avoid using the little finger as much as possible. I need someone to work with me on making the times I do use it less...jerky.

But I really think this option will best meet my needs. And in American dollars I think it's very reasonably priced.

Yes, Rhomylly,

I think the 24 button is a great idea. I had the price of the Noel Hill, I'll have to look it up and get it to you. Also, Frank Edgley did concertina in one or two time slots at a camp in Canada that also had button accordion and other instruments the week after the Noel Hill workshop.

Helen

Sat in with Andy Turner at Witney Concertinas the other weekend - He never uses his little finger at all (I think he said he started on melodion).

I use my little finger for bass runs all the time.

I wonder if your first instrument has some bearing on whether you use it or not?

I played piano previously and learnt on a 3 row anglo. People who started on melodion or 20 button anglo might find it a little alien to start using it.

People who started on melodion or 20 button anglo might find it a little alien to start using it.

There's no necessary connection between playing melodeon and not using the little finger; I play melodeon (one-row and three-row) and have used the little finger since the beginning. I have met people who use only 3 fingers to play melodeon, but it is far from a necessary connection. {What is very rare (but not impossible) is to see melodeon players using the thumb to play notes.}

Andy

Well, Duh! I had assumed that the extra notes would require the little finger to do even more work. It sounds now like the extra notes are added at the other end of the rows so the index finger is used for them. That makes a lot of sense to me now. I have no trouble reaching out on a 30 for the C#, but I would certainly like to try this system out some day.

Yes, Rex,

The extra notes are on the index finger side. The other 5 notes in each row are almost exactly like the 20 button Anglo. (Some little used notes have been substitued with accidentals.) Extra notes in each row on the index finger side. Great idea. I've been planning on getting one all summer and am very excited.

Helen

Edited by Helen

{What is very rare (but not impossible) is to see melodeon players using the thumb to play notes.}

I read that the late Jimmy Shand was struck by some hereditary muscle disease which rendered his middle finger unuseable. He changed his fingering style to use his thumb. His son was also struck with the same fate (his grandson also plays but don't know he he fares).

I read that the late Jimmy Shand was struck by some hereditary muscle disease which rendered his middle finger unuseable. He changed his fingering style to use his thumb.

That's interesting, especially picturing the particular set-up that he played.

It's certainly possible to learn to play the melodeon with four fingers plus the thumb, too, but like I said, definitely a rare approach. Personally I can't imagine playing that way, since I need to use the thumb against the edge of the keyboard for stability; but then again, I also have a hard time imagining how people play with the thumb _behind_ the keyboard, which is a fairly common technique.

Funny story about 3-finger melodeon playing:

I was watching an old-timer Irish player on one-row melodeon and noticed that the red finish was completely worn off on the edge of the keyboard. This is fairly common wear-and-tear from the thumb, but something was different here: I saw it while he was playing, which meant that it wasn't in the position of the thumb. As I looked more closely, I saw that the wood itself was chipped away. Finally I saw that every time he played a quick run of notes involving his ring finger, his little finger flicked against the edge of the keyboard. His fingernail, over the years, had taken its toll on the wood!

Andy