Old Concertina Band Recording

And.....? !!

OK not sheep stealing then! Still had to give him 150 quid for a Duet though!!

Interesting.

It's often been said to me in the last two years (and more than once by yourself!) that duets were as cheap as chips back then. However, out of interest, I just put that figure through the conversion software for purchasing power of the pound sterling using comparison figures for 1972 and 2008. If you paid that much for the first duet you had at that time , the monetary equivalent that you would be forking out now (or 2 years ago) would have been either £1483.09 using the retail price index, or £2500 using average earnings as a guideline...... so really not that much difference then?

If,as I think you said at some point somewhere, your first duet was a 46 button it even looks as though they might have actually cost comparatively more then than they do now - or do I have some miscomprehension of the current going rate for a Maccann of that size in relation to the 57's and 61's of this world at the moment ??

I have to confess that my curiosity was aroused as I recall being offered a job as a trainee town planner in 1973 with an annual salary that was only £520 a year . That tina would have cost around 15 weeks' worth of my salary in those days! As it happened, I didn't take the job - I ended up working first in libraries with even lower pay, and then as a tax inspector with only marginally better pay even then !). As they say ... it makes you think, dunnit???

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ralph Jordan' date='25 January 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1264411054' post='107518'

I have not heard this recording of the Tyneside Concertina Band and there was a similar programme by the BBC that featured The Bolton Concertina Band featuring John Nixon. John knows the time date the lot, but sadly many of these old recordings were dumped in skips or the tapes used to re record over to save money.

Thanks for all your help mate. I still can't remember any details of the album myself. (see below!)

I've emailed Geoff and he thinks I dreamed it! He can't remember the record and it doesn't seem to be in his collection.

I've searched everywhere I can think of including image searches of concertina bands in case I recognise a pic that would stir a memory or give more information but to no avail.

Is there any way that I can search the BBC archives? (then again I may have dreamed the BBC connection too!)

The bloke I'm trying to track down who may have been on the recording is my grandfather, "Walter Byron". He played an anglo and lived in Ryhope (Durham?) at least until 1914 (my mother was born there in 1913) and then Farnworth (Lancs).

Longshots upon longshots I know.

Ray

Edited by sympathy

Don't quite know what happened then! :blink:

I tried to quote Ralph and everything went pear shaped!

Ray

Hi Ray!

So good you posted it twice!

I'll try and make some enquiries on your behalf. But, I think Longshot is the correct term, sadly.

I

I'm going out now......I may be some time...(Capt Oates)!

Don't quite know what happened then! :blink:

I tried to quote Ralph and everything went pear shaped!

Ray

Hi Ray!

So good you posted it twice!

I'll try and make some enquiries on your behalf. But, I think Longshot is the correct term, sadly.

I

I'm going out now......I may be some time...(Capt Oates)!

Sorry Ralph. I may have to book a regression therapy session!.............. :blink:

Editted to add And you've got me doing it too.

(is that better?)

That's a very bold statement Dirge!

.......................... please make it stop, make it stop!!

Is it catching? No, I see it's not ... evidently what it needed was a woman's touch!

B)

Edited by Irene S

Is it catching? No, I see it's not ... evidently what it needed was a woman's touch!

B)

I posted my reply; it was in bold; I went back and seemed to edit it out. Today it (and the subsequent ones) is back in bold again. How bizarre.

Is this some Australian viral thingy, Ray? You started it.

B)

I posted my reply; it was in bold; I went back and seemed to edit it out. Today it (and the subsequent ones) is back in bold again. How bizarre.

Is this some Australian viral thingy, Ray? You started it.

Weird - when I posted my witty (???) reply last night it definitely WASN'T in bold .... but I see that it now is. And everything in edit mode is shown in normal type .How does that work ??? (That'll teach me to make comments like that, won't it?)

I wonder if this will be in bold or not?

Well the answer seems to be yes ...

Edit ... well it was on first posting ... on making a slight amendment, the bold disappeared ...... mystifying!

Edited by Irene S

Huh. None of these posts has appeared in bold for me...

...except, of course, for the word "bold" in that one. This is true on my PC with IE at work and my Mac with Firefox at home.

I wonder what Sympathy's favorite automaker is... :D

Edited to add: either I was mistaken or something changed, since it's definitely bold on my home computer now.

Edited again to add: after I added the above, my post went back to normal but everyone else's stayed bold. Very odd.

Joshua

Edited by jdms

Some higher authority must have decided that this topic was of particular merit and importance...

I've had a look at the posts and find that the post #20 by Sympathy seems to be causing the problem

The start of the quote

quote name='Ralph Jordan' date='25 January 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1264411054' post='107518'

I have not heard this ...

is missing the final square bracket.(I've omitted the opening square bracket in the quote to avoid confusing the HTML system)

This seems to turn the text of that message BOLD and affects all the subsequent messages displayed.

(Some web browsers may be more resilient than others)

So, Sympathy, can you edit that message to insert the closing square bracket and let us all return to (relative) sanity!

• 4 months later...

And.....? !!

Interesting.

It's often been said to me in the last two years (and more than once by yourself!) that duets were as cheap as chips back then. However, out of interest, I just put that figure through the conversion software for purchasing power of the pound sterling using comparison figures for 1972 and 2008. If you paid that much for the first duet you had at that time , the monetary equivalent that you would be forking out now (or 2 years ago) would have been either £1483.09 using the retail price index, or £2500 using average earnings as a guideline...... so really not that much difference then?

If,as I think you said at some point somewhere, your first duet was a 46 button it even looks as though they might have actually cost comparatively more then than they do now - or do I have some miscomprehension of the current going rate for a Maccann of that size in relation to the 57's and 61's of this world at the moment ??

I have to confess that my curiosity was aroused as I recall being offered a job as a trainee town planner in 1973 with an annual salary that was only £520 a year . That tina would have cost around 15 weeks' worth of my salary in those days! As it happened, I didn't take the job - I ended up working first in libraries with even lower pay, and then as a tax inspector with only marginally better pay even then !). As they say ... it makes you think, dunnit???

Hello Irene ( and Ralph and everyone else),

I was very interested in your post regarding relative costs for concertinas over the years. So, as the person who sold Ralph his first McCann, I might be able to clarify one point. It was not in 1972 but, I think, late in 1975 or very early '76. This was a period when wages were escalating quickly. I was earning over £3000 pa. and my wife, who was a nurse, was on a salary of £2200.I do not know how this might change your calculations, having not lived in the UK since that period I have no idea of wages and RPI's.

I do recall the first tune Ralph played us, he had taken that duet home the week before to "try out" because he was looking for something to get his teeth into. Well, at the following week's band practice we asked how he was getting on with the concertina. He promptly showed us by playing "In The Mood" very well! Then he appologised that he had not worked out any left hand chords for the piece, yet!

The last time I met Ralph was in the winter of '79 and as such I have not heard him play since.

Well this is my first post to concertina.net so I will wish everyone the best of music,

regards,

Geoff Wooff.

And.....? !!

Interesting.

Hello Irene ( and Ralph and everyone else),

I was very interested in your post regarding relative costs for concertinas over the years. So, as the person who sold Ralph his first McCann, I might be able to clarify one point. It was not in 1972 but, I think, late in 1975 or very early '76. This was a period when wages were escalating quickly. I was earning over £3000 pa. and my wife, who was a nurse, was on a salary of £2200.I do not know how this might change your calculations, having not lived in the UK since that period I have no idea of wages and RPI's.

I do recall the first tune Ralph played us, he had taken that duet home the week before to "try out" because he was looking for something to get his teeth into. Well, at the following week's band practice we asked how he was getting on with the concertina. He promptly showed us by playing "In The Mood" very well! Then he appologised that he had not worked out any left hand chords for the piece, yet!

The last time I met Ralph was in the winter of '79 and as such I have not heard him play since.

Well this is my first post to concertina.net so I will wish everyone the best of music,

regards,

Geoff Wooff.

Hallo Geoff and welcome to this site.

I chased all over Australia to find Geoff and finished up in France.

Hope we can meet up someday.

A few names you will remember all alive and well.

Jim the Poet, Little John Dewdney, Jane, Jim Ward and Harry Mousdel

Al

regards,

Geoff Wooff.

Hi Geoff - nice to hear from you and welcome to concertina.net

I'm just dashing off out for a hospital appointment, and will come back on the pricing thing more fully (being the nerdy person I am!!;)). You say you haven't heard Ralphie playing since 1979 .... well you could try this link http://www.onmvoice....lay.php?a=11737 and the various other tracks he's put up on Onmvoice - all tasters for the CD he's bringing out (which I'm sure he'll be along to talk about before too long ...LOL)

Regards

Irene

Hallo Al,

yes I am pleased to be here and see so much "action" taking place. I hav'nt been in a musical void, as such, but certainly been seperated from "Concertina life", other than the 14 years of living in Co. Clare that is.

I am now back playing EC almost full time because we needed a different sound in our local Limousin trad group. I had started to use my little treble to play with our neighbour's Chabrette (in A) and since I now have the loan of a wonderfull Baritone/Treble Aeola I am using that to add Viola and Cello sounds, between the Hurdy Gurdies/Cornemuses/Accordions which all use the G/C tuning in this area.

So between the Irish sessions and the French Bals, I am not getting time to play my Uilleann pipes or H/gurdies.

I cannot put faces to those names you mentioned, but I am sure I know them and am happy they are all well and look forward to a reunion.

Hi Irene,

Hospital visit...... I could do with one of those today, which is why I am on the web and not working.

The forth coming CD by Ralph.... wow, will that not be something to look forward to indeed.

Sorry there is nothing here from me on concertina band records, my memory does not have that piece of information.

Cheers,

Geoff.