Chords For The Ec

I've been trying in vain to locate a web page on playing chords with the EC

What I'm looking for is a button guide to play chords like D7 Bm7 Eaug5 etc etc

Can anyone help?

Or do I have to sit down an work them out for myself :(

What I'm looking for is a button guide to play chords like D7 Bm7 Eaug5  etc etc

Can anyone help?

Or do I have to sit down an work them out for myself  :(

On this very concertina website you can find an interesting page on EC chords.

Of course...it wouldn't hurt to figure them out yourself, then they'll be firly planted in your head. I've done that with some 7th chords. It's slow going, but discovering truth is more gratifying that just just learning it.

Edited by Jeff Stallard

What I'm looking for is a button guide to play chords like D7 Bm7 Eaug5  etc etc

Can anyone help?

Or do I have to sit down an work them out for myself  :(

I'm still figuring out and memorizing where particular chords are, on the EC. I've found it helpful to learn complex chords song by song, at least for now, rather than to try to follow one specific scientific chord layout.

A set 'chord plan' works for the basic major chords, yes; but, IMO, it gets too difficult and potentially weird-sounding when it comes to the 4-, 5-, whatever-note chords...at least for someone who's still memorizing where things are on the concertina.

On the EC, it can sound muddy to play ALL the notes of a big chord, of course -- though the same chord would sound great played full-strength on a guitar or a piano, maybe. I pick and choose what tones of the chord I'll 'keep.' And, usually I'll try to work out a little bit of arpeggiation or counter-melody to go along with the lyric line (or main line) of the song.

So, yes, I guess in a way it comes down to 'working them out for yourself,' at least in my case!

I'm presently working on 'Don't Know Why,' which is a pop song recorded by Nora Jones -- you've probably heard the song if you've been near a radio in the past year or so.

It seemed a bit odd to think of singing this song with an EC, or so I thought -- until I heard it done on TV last night, as an all-out rock song, hardly even recognizable as the gently-lilting ballad it...should...be...(?) Durn it all, I can't remember what singer that was last night...but, the show was 'Hit Me Baby One More Time,' a new type of show where sort of 'almost-faded-out' stars compete to see which one still can grab the audience. (Vanilla Ice won, I remember that much!)

So, it was a comedy, then??? :lol:

Ha ha! :D

Well, they did well, I thought, though I only knew who they were because my TV told me....I'm not very well-informed about 'who's who.'

I asked my daughter earlier today who it was that did the cover of 'Don't Know Why,' and she said it was the Motels (or, their singer, anyway). She said, 'THEY should have won...' and added that she doesn't like that song particularly but she thought they did a great job. (I like the song, but all I could say when I heard their version of it was...'Ick.' :wacko: )

Anyway...I was practicing singing and playing it on my EC a while later, and my daughter walked in, listened for a moment and said, 'And you thought the Motels killed that song? Ugh....'

Oh well. Can't please everyone! :D

Also off topic, you're right, she is!  And a very talented young woman as well!

Yes, for sure! I don't buy many CDs but hers are well worth it.

I read somewhere a while ago, too, that she is Ravi Shankar's daughter. I enjoy his CDs as well, particularly an instructional one about Indian music. Though, I don't plan on really studying it in depth....have enough trouble with what I'm already somewhat familiar with!

Edited by bellowbelle