So-called anglo concertinas without English style action, are they anglos ?

2 hours ago, JimR said:

What would you call the Flying Duck concertinas?

I recall Paul Harvey himself referring to his Duckling model as "Klingenthal revisited". So it could be called Anglo (fingering system) Concertina with German style action.

(However, the button and lever connections differ from the traditional German style.)

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo

Since all of Flying ducks concertinas are accordion reeds Hybrid with anglo fingering system, so they are still anglos to me. Although Ducklings and Dabblers are using wooden actions with a common pivot for a row of buttons, like German concertinas, but I think it's a unique design and actually shares more similarities with Stagi/Bastari style of action, only in wooden.

11 hours ago, Yuxin Ding said:

Ducklings and Dabblers are using wooden actions with a common pivot for a row of buttons, like German concertinas, but I think it's a unique design and actually shares more similarities with Stagi/Bastari style of action, only in wooden

I tend to agree!

German levers and pads are like in the photo (in my c. 1900 single-voiced Bandoneon). Classically plain and simple, and made of solid wood (looks like beech.) I would call the Stagi levers a translation into aluminium of this pattern.

The Dabbler levers really do look as if they were inspired by the Stagi units - with the comvoluted pattern of the levers themselves - but the through-going pivot is not there, each lever seeming to have its cown locating hook. And the Stagi levers are all parallel, like the old German ones (with the exception of the air-button), whereas the Dabbler has some levers set at an angle to the others.

So, yes, a unique design, incorporating ideas from several sources.

Cheers,

John

BandoneonLevers.jpg

• Like 1